Jim McMahon

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Producer

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:42 PM

Hello,

Has anyone seen an anamorphic adaptor for the HVX200 yet? I googled it, and also checked Century, but no luck.

Side note, and possibly more importantly, will the PS-Technic 35mm lens adaptor for the DVX100 fit the HVX200? Anyone heard of this being done successfully, or know when they plan to release a version for the HVX?

Thanks!

Jim

#2 Matt Irwin

Matt Irwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:00 PM

The HVX is native 16:9, so there is no need for an anamorphic adapter to achieve "true" 16:9. Or are you referring to 2.35/2.40 anamorphic?

The Mini35 works with the HVX-- you just need the mounting kit from P+S.
see: http://www.pstechnik...i35-connect.php

#3 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:09 PM

The HVX optics for the Mini35 are slowly rolling out. There are just a few of them out there, and we have one.

Mitch Gross
Technical Director of Rental
Abel Cine Tech

#4 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:52 PM

An HVX with a mini-35. hmmm interesting. If you get some video I want to see some examples (I will even host the footage on my website if you want to show it to others here.)

As far as getting anamorphic without the mini, I would recomend just doing a center extraction. I am assuming your inted output is likley HD or SD material? I dont think you would see any kind of resolution loss on either (even in HD, you wouldnt be changing the size of the pixels, just masking part of the 16x9 image.) so if you can mark your VF then just use that as a guide and apply the matte in post, but do remember to shoot 16x9 original)

#5 Jim McMahon

Jim McMahon

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Producer

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Nice to know the Mini35 adaptor works on the HVX200.

Regarding the anamorphic adaptor, I am trying to find one that uses every bit of chip resolution, but gives me a squeezed 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Doing a center-cut is of course the fall-back option, but then we lose resolution.

Here's an odd question. What happens when you use anamorphic lenses with the mini35 adaptor? Has anyone heard of this, and what were the results?

Thanks a bunch!

Jim

#6 Rod Otaviano

Rod Otaviano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Nice to know the Mini35 adaptor works on the HVX200.

Regarding the anamorphic adaptor, I am trying to find one that uses every bit of chip resolution, but gives me a squeezed 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Doing a center-cut is of course the fall-back option, but then we lose resolution.

Here's an odd question. What happens when you use anamorphic lenses with the mini35 adaptor? Has anyone heard of this, and what were the results?

Thanks a bunch!

Jim

This thread here might be of some interest to you:

http://www.dvxuser.c...ead.php?t=54396

He used the Panasonic 16:9 anamorphic adapter to achieve 2.35:1

The Slider

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC