7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:04 AM

I have an opportunity to buy an NPR package or a CP16R package. Both are in good shape and are priced well. They're being sold by my boss, who I know very well and who maintains his gear very well. I'm just fishing for experience with either or both cameras. I have used a CP16R but only relatively briefly. I have never used an NPR in a shooting situation, but I know how to load, operate, et cetera. I have already half made up my mind, I'm just looking for any and all feedback before I decide. So which would you guys prefer?

Edit: I forgot one important thing. I would like to know of the feasibility of converting each camera to Super 16. I know NPRs can be converted, as they were I believe the first camera to have that operation done. I've never heard, on the other hand, of a super 16 CP16R. Also, does anyone know of a supplier of lens mount adapters that would get me from the NPR's mounts and from the CP mount to a PL or Arri bayonet mount?

Edited by Christopher D. Keth, 30 June 2006 - 01:07 AM.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:21 AM

I know the CP vs. Eclair thing has been discussed ad nauseam here in the past, but you may have to go back several years in the archives. Try the CML archives also.

I've used both and preferred the NPR as sort of a "poor man's SRII," but I don't recall the answers to your question about conversion, etc. Each camera has its quirks and you need to choose which one suits you and your intentions for it.

These guys are your resource for all things Eclair:
http://www.opticalelectrohouse.com/
They may be able to answer some of your CP questions as well.

#3 Hunter Sandison

Hunter Sandison
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:07 AM

Visual Products offers a s16 and PL mount conversion for the CP-16. According to their website they're the only company that offers this service.

http://www.visualpro...d...=92&Cat2=93

#4 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:36 AM

Both cameras can be converted to Super 16 and both can be converted to a PL mount.

I have a CP16R and an ACL but all of my needs would have been met by an NPR (although I don't think it's so great ergonomically).

If price is not an issue, go with the NPR. It is the only 16mm camera on the planet with this combination of features:

- pin registration (no pin on the CP)

- user-adjustable shutter angle (not on the CP or most other 16mm cameras either)

- instant-change magazines (the CP has to be threaded up)

- user-interchangeable motor

- 2-lens turret with the ability to take lenses in just about any mount (Arri, PL, CA-1, Nikon, C-mount, etc.)

It is, I think, just about the most flexible 16mm you can buy... and this from someone who actually likes the CP.

#5 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:56 PM

I've heard that it wasn't as quiet as a CP16R. Is that true?
My CP is absolutely dead quiet, but it was a bit noisy before I got it serviced by Paul Hillman at Visual Products.

MP

#6 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:59 PM

My CP is absolutely dead quiet, but it was a bit noisy before I got it serviced by Paul Hillman at Visual Products.

I've never heard a side-by-side comparison of the CP and the NPR, but my CP is quieter than my ACL. However, my ACL has a noisy, non-standard motor. I'm hoping to have my CP "Hillmanized" some day for even quieter running.

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:32 PM

MP

How much did that run you, Matt? I want to make sure to think of a good serviceing as part of the purchase price so I'm sure to get it done promptly.

#8 Jon-Hebert Barto

Jon-Hebert Barto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:50 PM

Try Bernies site....http://www.super16inc.com/

-Jonnie

Abel Cine

CineLab

CineTape