#1 Oscar Godfrey

Oscar Godfrey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:20 PM

Hello all,
I did post this in the sound forum but it seems very few people look at the sound forum.
Have any of you had any experience with Uher report monitors for recording sound. I am going to be making a film with piano music, ambient sounds (birds etc.) and over dubbed narrative so sync is not an issue. Are they good? I cannot afford a Nagra. If you recommend them what would be a good microphone for my purposes?
Thank you,
Oscar.

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:49 AM

Hello all,
I did post this in the sound forum but it seems very few people look at the sound forum.
Have any of you had any experience with Uher report monitors for recording sound. I am going to be making a film with piano music, ambient sounds (birds etc.) and over dubbed narrative so sync is not an issue. Are they good? I cannot afford a Nagra. If you recommend them what would be a good microphone for my purposes?
Thank you,
Oscar.

I used Uher portable reel-to-reel recorders in the late 60's, early 70's quite a bit. They're not as professional a machine overall as Nagra's but they do a pretty good job of recording audio. They use DIN plugs for inputs - for XLR's you'll have to make or buy adapters. Don't use real thin tape, stick with standard studio tapes, not long play types. There is a sync sound (pilot-tone) version - I believe it's called the Report Pilot.

Mikes are a huge subject, in midprice mikes Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer, and Shure all make quality gear, many of the other, highly promoted brands are in truth highly promoted and advertised junk. Audio is like prosumer video - there's always someone willing to fudge specifications to make a sale. l've got a small collection of the old RCA broadcast ribbon mikes that are like an NRA member's firearms to me, to get them you'd have to pry them from my cold, dead fingers.

There's a drive belt inside that by now will require replacement. I remember it being a bit difficult to replace but patience will overcome the difficulty. Projector Recorder Belt probably has replacements ( http://russellind.com/downl.htm ).

#3 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:28 PM

Hello all,
Thank you,
Oscar.

---Richard Nixon's secretary's Uher managed to not record 18 & 1/2 minutes of conversations.

---LV

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:54 PM

---Richard Nixon's secretary's Uher managed to not record 18 & 1/2 minutes of conversations.
---LV

I believe the forensic work at the time hinted that someone backed the tape up and recorded over the 18-1/2 minutes. The little Uher was just doing what it was told. :D

#5 Oscar Godfrey

Oscar Godfrey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:20 AM

Thank you all,

I have got hold of a 4000 report monitor in very nice condition, and it does sound good. I am only using a basic mic at the moment. I also got one that needs a new belt so thank you for that link Hal.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Metropolis Post