#1 Filip Plesha

Filip Plesha
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • Other
  • Croatia

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:47 PM

Some of you may remember when I was asking for advice on Lowel lights..

well I odrered a Tota, and recieved it in mail today

I shot some 120 chromes for test, but couldn't wait for processing, so I also shot some 35mm print film as a sort of a "preview", that I'm going to get processed tomorow and see what I get

Anyway, from the look of it, I love the slightly soft beam it makes. While it is still hard light, it sort of wraps the light around objects in a pleasant way, much more pleasant tham my open faces which I now find a bit too hard.

In fact, I love it so much I'm going to use this little tota as the key from now on. I just wish it had more power, but they I'd have order special bulbs, so no thanks, I already have one set of bulbs I have to order.
I can put any halogen from a hardware shop in this one.

thanks everyone for their advice.

#2 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:13 PM

Tota's are about as open-faced as you can get.

They are quite versatile though, especially for the price. Get an umbrella or two (silver and/or white), or splurge and get a Chimera softbox and speed ring. That'll get you a nice soft key.

A good 750w bulb will last you a long time, and you can put a 1000w in too although the fixture is just rated to 750.

#3 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:34 PM

I think what is interesting about them is they are soft in only one direction (and only up close, past about 3-4 feet the soft effect is minimalized, and I dont know if you can keep your subject that close)

A good 750w bulb will last you a long time, and you can put a 1000w in too although the fixture is just rated to 750.

be careful about doing that. I have seen a tota melted all to hell from doing that. It was on for a while, but the possibility of fire and disaster remain. I always recomend staying below the rated wattage, as would UL, the manufacterers, the fire marshall, and probably any of your actors. If your willing to accept these risks, then go ahead and do it. It does work, but I would just recomend a different instrument.

CineLab

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc