rbg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Director
  • Santa Monica

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:56 PM

Hey all,

Was wondering if any of you have any recommendations for Post Houses in LA, specifically to do 2K Digital Intermediate on a Super16 feature, aproximately 56k feet. Also, the pricing info I've been getting has been all over the place, so I'm wondering if anyone has ballpark pricing. We want to end up with something to project, as well as have an HD render for the DVD master.

Thanks!

RBG

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:26 PM

You want to transfer all 56,000' at 2K? Why not telecine it to regular video, cut it, generate an EDL, and re-transfer the actual shots you used for the final cut off of the camera rolls at 2K?

Generally a D.I. bid breaks down roughly into these categories:
1) Scanning
2) Autoconform (assuming uncut neg)
3) Titles, building transition effects (fades & dissolves), etc.
4) color-correction
5) dust removal and scratch repair
6) laser recording to 35mm
7) downconversions to other video formats like HD, etc., perhaps needing a quick pass at color-correction again for overall adjustment.

You can figure that an average 100 minute feature is going to cost around $50,000 or more to laser-record out to 35mm. You can figure that color-correction will probably take 5 to 10 days minimum, but maybe $500/hr, 8 hours per day, so $4000/day, so $20,000 to $40,000 total. Then there are all the other costs, which is why a D.I. is rarely less than $100,000 and often more than $200,000.

#3 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:01 PM

Hey all,

Was wondering if any of you have any recommendations for Post Houses in LA, specifically to do 2K Digital Intermediate on a Super16 feature, aproximately 56k feet. Also, the pricing info I've been getting has been all over the place, so I'm wondering if anyone has ballpark pricing. We want to end up with something to project, as well as have an HD render for the DVD master.

I could list essentially every post facility in Los Angeles, as just about all of them are capable of doing this, but what's the point? You really need to talk to and hopefully hire a post supervisor who understands the process, rather than ask general questions in an open Internet forum. If you wish, I can provide you with some names.

#4 rbg

rbg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Director
  • Santa Monica

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:00 AM

Thank-you for your response David.
Actually we will do the 2k scan from the EDL.
We won't be scanning all 56K, my mistake.
Thanks for the ballpark pricing and the breakdown.
Its definitely helpful. I appreciate your input, as always.

RBG

You want to transfer all 56,000' at 2K? Why not telecine it to regular video, cut it, generate an EDL, and re-transfer the actual shots you used for the final cut off of the camera rolls at 2K?

Generally a D.I. bid breaks down roughly into these categories:
1) Scanning
2) Autoconform (assuming uncut neg)
3) Titles, building transition effects (fades & dissolves), etc.
4) color-correction
5) dust removal and scratch repair
6) laser recording to 35mm
7) downconversions to other video formats like HD, etc., perhaps needing a quick pass at color-correction again for overall adjustment.

You can figure that an average 100 minute feature is going to cost around $50,000 or more to laser-record out to 35mm. You can figure that color-correction will probably take 5 to 10 days minimum, but maybe $500/hr, 8 hours per day, so $4000/day, so $20,000 to $40,000 total. Then there are all the other costs, which is why a D.I. is rarely less than $100,000 and often more than $200,000.

Thanks for the response. I'm definitely open to working with a post supervisor.
Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks again.

RBG

I could list essentially every post facility in Los Angeles, as just about all of them are capable of doing this, but what's the point? You really need to talk to and hopefully hire a post supervisor who understands the process, rather than ask general questions in an open Internet forum. If you wish, I can provide you with some names.

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc