#1 Tanner Field

Tanner Field

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:09 AM

I have a bolex H16 and I was trying to figure out how i could convert that camera to a hand crank? Also can anyone tell me any information there is on digital hand crank cameras?

#2 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:13 AM

I'd like to convert a IIC to hand crank. Is there a device that would just mount on the bottom.

#3 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:49 AM

I have a bolex H16 and I was trying to figure out how i could convert that camera to a hand crank? Also can anyone tell me any information there is on digital hand crank cameras?

The some technical information.

Russian 35 mm cine camera Konvas-1 can have two version of hand cranks.
The one hand crank you can set on base axis of mechanism and have one turn of hand crank- one frame of shooting.
This is version of hand crank good for single frame shooting.

The second version of hand crank set instead of DC motor and you can have normal speed of shooting 18..24 fps.
You will have speed 24 fps with rotate of hand crank , like speed one turn by one second.

#4 Alan Duckworth

Alan Duckworth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Producer
  • Kelowna, B.C. Canada

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:59 PM

You're confusing me slightly with the word "convert". I own 5 H16's of various vintages, and they can all be hand cranked just as they are. But you do need to obtain the physical "hand crank" which fits onto the drive shaft. These literally look like a "crank", and are quite small - cost around 40 dollars new, or try eBay. But....there are two different sizes of fittings on the drive shaft depending on the age of the camera, and the crank must fit precisely. The drive shaft is just above the lever labelled "I" and "T".

Also, older H16's have a drive shaft ratio of 8 : 1, so you get a lot of frames for very little cranking - newer models are 1 : 1, more control, but more cranking.

And, you must switch the motor off before hand cranking - the lever labelled "MOT" and "0" must be set to "0". Set your framing rate to whatever your highest desired rate is - the governor will not let you crank beyond whatever it is set at.

Hope this helps,

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Opal

FJS International, LLC