High Def. Projection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandre Lucena

Alexandre Lucena
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:47 PM

I am writing a letter to movie makers all over Brazil as to decide on the best option
cost wise for a HD video format to be chosen as a standard in Brazil´s Film festivals. So
far the festivals here welcome video. But they are usually displayed in DVDs and Betacam.
These formats are far from ideal to be projected on a large screen. Initially I believe
Blu Ray would be an option if we compare to HDCAM or DVCPRO HD as the costs of
copying tapes and renting a player are not everyone´s cup of tea. I also welcome
sugestions on Instalation projectors to go along with. Thank you all in advance this site
is amazing.

Alexandre

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:11 PM

You probably get what you pay for -- Blu-Ray DVD's may be cheaper to show than HDCAM tapes, but on very large screens, you may be annoyed by greater compression artifacts. But it may beat showing standard def tapes, who knows. You may also have problems if filmmakers start submitting their own burned-in Blu-Ray disks for screenings in terms of reliability & playability; HDCAM tapes coming from a dub house might be more consistently playable.

#3 Alexandre Lucena

Alexandre Lucena
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:44 PM

You may also have problems if filmmakers start submitting their own burned-in Blu-Ray disks for screenings in terms of reliability & playability; HDCAM tapes coming from a dub house might be more consistently playable.

Definately an issue. My expectations are high on this new Blu Ray system. I am led to believe this
new technology has been improved over the DVD. There is also the HD DVD. Well, there is some
light in the end of the tunnel (a 300w fresnel with an ageing bulb) as to a replacement for bank
account breaking 35mm transfer.

Alexandre.

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport