Photo

What format to save to for HD stock footage?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mattscholey

mattscholey

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:08 PM

Hi,

I am a stills photographer and am starting to shoot timelapses which I aim to sell through a good agency, when I get a large enough collection. I am editing the timelapses together (from JPEG stills) in Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0, but I am at a loss as to what format to save the movie in that the best agencies will want it to be saved as. At the moment I am using Apple Quicktime format and H.264 codec. Is there a better option or is this good enough?

Thanks,
Matt

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:38 PM

Hi,

I am a stills photographer and am starting to shoot timelapses which I aim to sell through a good agency, when I get a large enough collection. I am editing the timelapses together (from JPEG stills) in Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0, but I am at a loss as to what format to save the movie in that the best agencies will want it to be saved as. At the moment I am using Apple Quicktime format and H.264 codec. Is there a better option or is this good enough?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi,

I would shoot in raw format. Keep all the original files then you can deliver whatever is required now and in the future. Apple Quicktime and H.246 are in favour today but in 3 years time?

Stephen

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 12171 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:11 PM

Hi,

H.264 is a compression codec similar to MPEG-4, and is completely unsuited to origination work. You should be working on uncompressed files, and you can probably do it at 2K if your DSLR shoots frames at least 3072x2048.

I've asked this question before, since I have several 2K time lapses available - but the best advice seems to be to have them shot out onto 35mm intermediate stock and present them as film originated!

Insane.

Phil

#4 mattscholey

mattscholey

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:40 PM

So, if I am to save it uncompressed, what format and codec should I select in Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0? Will I be able to play the uncompressed file back on my computer, using what software?

Thanks,
Matt

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Technodolly