10 replies to this topic

#1 Shaun Joye

Shaun Joye
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:51 PM

I posted this on here before and didn't get any replies. I'm looking for input on my reel. It's at www.shaunjoye.com. Thanks.

#2 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:56 AM

I posted this on here before and didn't get any replies. I'm looking for input on my reel. It's at www.shaunjoye.com. Thanks.

Some very nice imagery.. (Which of your cameras did you use?) Well planned and color co-ordinated..

:)

#3 Shaun Joye

Shaun Joye
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 July 2006 - 01:17 PM

Thanks. All the film was shot with the Arri SR2 and SR3. The video was shot on the panasonic DVX 100.

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:01 PM

There's some nice stuff there, Shaun. I would definately change the music. I don't think it adds the kind of mood you want for a demo reel. It seems like a tiny detail but you want to support a feeling of awe, basically.

Also, don't end with credits. End with your name and number. That's what's important to remember for a viewer.

#5 Chayse Irvin

Chayse Irvin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:15 PM

Solid reel man! I'm sure you'll be getting good gigs in no time.

#6 Shaun Joye

Shaun Joye
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Student

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:52 AM

Solid reel man! I'm sure you'll be getting good gigs in no time.

Haha, thanks, I hope you're right.

#7 Ethan Lyu

Ethan Lyu
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles/Vancouver

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:50 PM

Hey, nice work.

Which one is video and which one was film?
My guess is the black and white was shot on film and color footage was video?

#8 Shaun Joye

Shaun Joye
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:11 PM

Thanks.
Yeah the black and white was film. The color segments were film except for the TV smashing stuff which was shot with the DVX100

#9 Hans Engstrom

Hans Engstrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Sweden

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:54 PM

I will do as I allways do and just critique the technical aspects of the reel as I don´t consider myself to know how a reel should look.

Good choice to make it possible to download the clips and not just watch them in the browser, I usually download clips and watch them on VLC that offers fullscreen viewing and a bunch of other options. Some of the shots look soft, like old lenses where used but I bet this has to do with the compression of the clip. I don´t know if it´s possible for you but I think it would be a good idea to have a DVD imagefile of the reel downloadable from your site. That way a producer can download the imagefile, burn it to a DVD and perhaps show it to the director on a TV set.

Where you list your skills I wouldn´t list every camera I have worked with. I would just write that I have experience of working as (insert job position) in both video and film and that I have knowledge of both film and videocameras. Producers might not allways know how alike most cameras are and for example be thinking that "He hasn´t worked with a 435 and have no 35mm experience so we better hire someone else and then they wont even give you a call.

#10 Shaun Joye

Shaun Joye
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:08 AM

Thanks, for the suggestions. A DVD image of the reel is an interesting idea... I'd wonder though if most people viewing the site would be computer savvy enough to know what to do with it.

I will do as I allways do and just critique the technical aspects of the reel as I don´t consider myself to know how a reel should look.

Good choice to make it possible to download the clips and not just watch them in the browser, I usually download clips and watch them on VLC that offers fullscreen viewing and a bunch of other options. Some of the shots look soft, like old lenses where used but I bet this has to do with the compression of the clip. I don´t know if it´s possible for you but I think it would be a good idea to have a DVD imagefile of the reel downloadable from your site. That way a producer can download the imagefile, burn it to a DVD and perhaps show it to the director on a TV set.

Where you list your skills I wouldn´t list every camera I have worked with. I would just write that I have experience of working as (insert job position) in both video and film and that I have knowledge of both film and videocameras. Producers might not allways know how alike most cameras are and for example be thinking that "He hasn´t worked with a 435 and have no 35mm experience so we better hire someone else and then they wont even give you a call.

Edited by Shaun Joye, 01 August 2006 - 10:09 AM.

#11 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:56 PM

nice reel, I especially liked the shot at the gas station of the guy exhaling the smoke and the b/w scene at the bridge.

I dig the music, too. jazz is awesome. the bassline gives it a cool feel.

Edited by David Sweetman, 01 August 2006 - 09:57 PM.

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery