FONT SIZE FOR 16MM 1.33 OPTICAL TITLES

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kev5000

kev5000
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:10 PM

I'm about to do kodaliths of titles for my 16mm film. From there I'm doing traditional opticals on an optical printer.

What I need to know is what is the standard font size for text in a 1.33 aspect ratio.

Thanks

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:08 PM

Depends on how you are rephotographing the kodaliths; if on an Oxberry animation stand, there are probably certain standard artwork sizes. Also probably a cost consideration in terms of how big you can afford to make them.

My only experience was when I used to create titles for my Super-8 movies, and in that case, I used fairly big, bold fonts, put as many words on a sheet as I could fit, made the Kodaliths, then cut up the lines of text into strips and taped them behind black card with slots cut out for the strip of Kodalith. This way I didn't need to make one Kodalith per title card.

My black cards were half the standard size that poster board comes in (in other words, I bought black posterboard and cut it in half to create two title cards.) So the font was large enough for that size card, probably in the 22 to 36 pt. range.

I could use the zoom lens on the Super-8 camera to adjust the size of the card & titles in the frame. I would put tracing paper behind the kodalith strips and backlit the card.

The easiest thing would be to assume that your title cards would be a little bigger than 8 1/2 x 11 sheets, and just typeset them on your computer and spit them out on white paper to see what size fonts look correct by eye, figuring you can always shrink them later if necessary by mounting them on larger black fields and pulling back.

In terms of what font size looks good aeshetically, it depends on the size of the likely display / presentation. On an average TV screen, you normally want to use somewhat larger fonts than you'd use for a theatrical screen.

#3 kev5000

kev5000
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

I'm about to do kodaliths of titles for my 16mm film. From there I'm doing traditional opticals on an optical printer.

What I need to know is what is the standard font size for text in a 1.33 aspect ratio.

Thanks

Thanks!!!

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

The Slider

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery