Hayk Grigoryan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

hi

I am thinking to shoot a short feature (no longer that 10-15 min) and not sure which camera will be the best choice. First of all the budget is very low (equals to my credit card limits:). The movie will contain little dialoge but there are scenes that need some noise and non dialoge sounds.
I heard a lot about Krasnogorsk 3 as a good and reliable camera, but for MOS shoots only, same as Bolex. Is it possible to syncronize the sound after you shoot on one of those cameras, or is it too big of a hussle and I sould save up for CP 16 ? As I said dialoge is minimal mostly sounds like car driving, of opening and closing doors.
Hit me back with some ideas please.
thanks

Hayk
Bay area

#2 Kirk Anderson

Kirk Anderson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:07 PM

age old debate....
if it's one of your first projects use a K3 or a bolex. I've used a K3 and used R.R. style recording and done fine with little dialougue. Cp's are great, but at least a grand, and could require recelling batteries, and possibly a tune up. My opinion, do a couple projects on wind up before dropping the dough on a pro camera, unless you get one hell of a deal....
You can make great work with a K3 or a bolex, it's not the equipment that makes a great a film, its the filmmaker.
you could also check out the equipment on the classified section of the forum as well. I have one of my K3's for sale for $325 plus shipping or Pickup in the bay area. just a quick plug...

Kirk

#3 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:14 PM

Arriflex 16S, Cooke Kinetal 25mm.

Posted Image

See the whole clip here.

Anything you can do with a wind up Bolex or K3, you can do crystal sync with an Arriflex 16S and a Tobin motor.

-Tim

#4 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 10 July 2006 - 02:11 AM

What you can do if you are in SF is let me shoot it for you on an Arri SR2 ;).

an arri sr would be a good choice. It's quite enough for dialogue. You don't need it to record doors closing, since you can do that in post (foley), and depending on how you shoot the dialogue scenes you can even ADR that as well.

Let me know if you need more suggestions.

#5 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:11 AM

I've used a K-3 for several years now and been very happy with it. The downside is winding that puppy... it can make your hand hurt and if its mounted on a tripod its a real bitch to wind.

As far as your budget goes, figure out your film costs and work backwards...

15 minutes of film is 540ft of film, so figure 600ft x 3 = 1800ft for multiple takes... probably a little more than that.

Film Cost: 18 (100ft rolls) x $35 = $630
Processing: 1800ft x .18 = $340
Transfer: Figure about 4 hours if you don't get too picky... 4hr x $350 = $1400

Now if $2500 in film costs doesn't scare you, then go for an Arri. Or maybe pick up 2 or 3 K-3's for $175 a pop off eBay. Test them completely and have them serviced as neeeded. It would be good to have a couple loaded and ready to go on filming days.

#6 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:07 PM

Do you want to buy a camera or rent one? It's a HUGE difference in the equipment you will be able to afford for your short.

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

CineLab

CineTape

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine