#1 John Adolfi

John Adolfi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Producer
  • Fulton, N.Y.

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:29 PM

Does anyone here know the approx. cost of the Zeiss digiprimes?

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 July 2006 - 02:03 AM

Does anyone here know the approx. cost of the Zeiss digiprimes?

Hi,

Approx $30,000 per lens.

Stephen

#3 John Adolfi

John Adolfi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Producer
  • Fulton, N.Y.

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:53 AM

Then what are some more affordable lenses which are considered great and yet slightly more affordable that the new digi primes.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:58 AM

Then what are some more affordable lenses which are considered great and yet slightly more affordable that the new digi primes.

Hi,

The problem with a small sensor is the lens has to resolve 2.5 times as much, as a lens for a 35mm film camera. There are no high quality cheap prime lenses for 2/3 inch sensors. If you want to shoot on 35mm film then quality lenses can be found far cheaper.

Stephen

#5 John Adolfi

John Adolfi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Producer
  • Fulton, N.Y.

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:38 AM

Stephen,

I'm shopping and being educated about lenses. I would like to purchase something I could put on a super 16, super 8 and 35mm cameras. Buy once, buy expensive as I can and have a quality to last for many years. Someone suggested digiprimes or zoom on a super 8 camera. Sounds like overkill I know but this individual was trying to take super 8 to the ultimate. However I got to thinking if I could aquire a set of primes that I could use for super8-super35 then what set of primes would that be? That being said what do you suggest. Thanks for the lesson thus far.

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19764 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:01 PM

There is no one-ring-to-rule-them-all solution, the size of the format being so radically different between Super-8 and 35mm, plus the camera technology. You can find old c-mount lenses that bridge 16mm and Super-8, and you can find PL-mount lenses that bridge 16mm and 35mm, but you aren't going to find something that satisfies all formats, not to mention that something like a 50mm would be quite telephoto in Super-8.

I think you should be more realistic here and either be looking for classic c-mount lenses that work on both Super-8 and older 16mm cameras, or PL-mount lenses that will work on modern Super-16 and 35mm cameras.

And at least a PL-mount lens could also be used on a video camera with a P&S Technik-type adaptor.

Modern professional cine lenses are not cheap though. And if you don't want vignetting in 35mm, you basically have to look for 35mm cine lenses that can work on a Super-16 camera rather than the other way around. And some cine lense vignette in Super-35 but not regular 35mm.

The cine version of the Zeiss DigiPrimes would probably be the Zeiss Ultra Primes, but you may have to set your sights lower and look at older Zeiss Super-Speeds or something.

#7 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:03 PM

DigiPrimes, as all other 2/3" HD lenses as well are designed for 3 chip cameras. You cannot put them on any film cameras. Or single chip cameras for that matter.

Also I'd like to point out that 35mm and S16mm have PL mounts, while Super 8 doesn't.

There is no lens that fits every camera. Good 35mm prime lenses are expensive. The best ones, the Zeiss Master Primes are about 14k-17k ? per lens. You can get second hand Zeiss Superspeeds for cheaper though.

#8 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19764 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:10 PM

You can get an idea of some prices here:
http://www.cinematec...les_lenses.html

Just remember that some Zeiss Super-Speeds sets were built only to fit Super-16, not 35mm.

You may also consider Elite lenses, which are Russian-made and pretty high-quality from what I hear. Even those aren't cheap though. You pay for quality basically and you pay for size.

#9 John Adolfi

John Adolfi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Producer
  • Fulton, N.Y.

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:17 PM

Forget impractically for a moment. Can I put a PL mount on a Beaulieu or Leicina super 8 camera?
Is there any reason I cannot place a zeiss digizoom with a PL mount on the leicina it also having a PL mount?

#10 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19764 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:21 PM

Is there any reason I cannot place a zeiss digizoom with a PL mount on the leicina it also having a PL mount?

You haven't been reading-- the "digi" primes and zooms are for 2/3" CCD cameras. They are designed to focus light onto a prism block splitting the colors three ways onto three different sensors, not focus onto a single film plane. They don't come in PL-mounts, they come in B4 video mounts.

As far as putting a big PL-mount on a tiny Super-8 camera, I don't know what would be needed to get the image to focus at the right distance. It would have to be a beefy metal Super-8 camera body probably.

Probably this camera as a starter:

http://www.cameraspro.com/bolex8.html

#11 John Adolfi

John Adolfi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Producer
  • Fulton, N.Y.

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:24 PM

You haven't been reading-- the "digi" primes and zooms are for 2/3" CCD cameras. They are designed to focus light onto a prism block splitting the colors three ways onto three different sensors, not focus onto a single film plane. They don't come in PL-mounts, they come in B4 video mounts.

Got it read it that time. New to this.

#12 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19764 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 July 2006 - 12:34 PM

Here is an interesting discussion on converting a c-mount Bolex to PL-mount / Super-16 that you may find useful:
http://www.cinematog...sion_to_S16.htm

#13 Thibaut de Chemellier

Thibaut de Chemellier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:58 PM

You can also use a C mount to Bayonet adaptater and use some "cheap" first generation Zeiss Super speed lens designed for 16mm or 35mm.
I'm about to do some test on my Beaulieu 6008 with this trick...I can even put a 3x3 clip on and a lightweight chrosziel Follow Focus ...Nice!!!

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal