6 replies to this topic

#1 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:45 PM

I will be working on a multi-camera shoot that will have probably have a hundred people in an environment with a low ceiling and minimal air conditioning, throw in lighting we could be looking at a hundred degrees plus humidity. What type of cooling rental services are available in the Los Angeles area? Does wetting down the asphalt roof make a difference? There is absolutely no tree shade anywhere near the building.

#2 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:15 PM

I just did a quick Google and this site came up. There are lots of portable systems. I don?t think they are cheap because I always have to fight for them. They are really very important. The cast will look like poop with out them; the crew will get cranky and work half speed. Your lights will turn the set into a furnace. If you can?t afford to rent Air-conditioning buy a couple of large supper strong fans, the ones that look like the fire department would use them to evacuate smoke Place one pointing out a window, preferably high to take the hot air out and the other pointing in. You want to create a through draft that will pull air through the building. Also get a couple of small fans to point at the cast. Point a space heater at the producer until he gets the point.

#3 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:19 PM

I think the link didn't show up. Well, we won't need make up, everyone will just have that flush look.

#4 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:08 PM

http://www.temcool.c...ers/default.asp

There is an Aircinditioning link. Look for portable Air Conditioning motion picture

#5 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:44 AM

Wetting down a roof will reduce the heating to the space underneath. Could you schedule your shoot for early morning or in the evening, when you could simply use fans to bring in cooler air? Using a faster film will have a bit more grain, but could reduce lighting requirements considerably. Are there large air-conditioned spaces that could also meet your needs?

#6 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:17 AM

Apparently Agrekko has portable cooling equipment for rent as well as their generators. I've used their generators from time to time and always had good experiences with them. Check http://www.aggreko.com/ourcompany/ for locations.

#7 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:51 AM

Wetting down a roof will reduce the heating to the space underneath. Could you schedule your shoot for early morning or in the evening, when you could simply use fans to bring in cooler air? Using a faster film will have a bit more grain, but could reduce lighting requirements considerably. Are there large air-conditioned spaces that could also meet your needs?

This production is more of a live stand-up variety with multiple cameras and it's being shot in BetaCam SP. I am toying with shooting one of the performers in Super-8. The location is solid, except for the potential of it being too hot, most everything else is exactly what is wanted.

Thanks for the info on the roof.

------------------------------

Thanks Hal for the link on Aggreko. I remember getting literature from them years ago but I didn't recall they did cooling as well.

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

The Slider

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Wooden Camera