#1 Sakari Suuronen

Sakari Suuronen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Student
  • Tampere, Finland

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:56 AM

Just wanted to say that I got the letter today saying I've been accepted to the cinematography program here in Finland at Tampere and I couldn't be more pleased!!!
I took me a while to get there (it's quite hard to get to a GOOD school here, but the education is free here) but I just wanted to say all to the people struggling there that don't give up, hang in there and allways watch loads of movies, read tons of good books and listen intresting music and do all sorts of creative stuff to get you where ever you want to go in cinematography.
Couldn't be more happy right now and I'm really looking forward the next four years.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:03 PM

Good luck, keep busy, and have fun!

#3 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:10 PM

happy for you keep your ears and eyes open and don't be afraid to always ask questions don't take anything for granted

we here to seaport you and answer any question you have

#4 Adam White

Adam White
  • Sustaining Members
  • 135 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:22 PM

Well done, now get busy!!!

Many people are working hard to get where you have got, make sure you justify it.

As a note, I WISH I'd known about this site when I started filmschool. . . the pratfalls I'd have avoided. . .

#5 Hans Engstrom

Hans Engstrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Sweden

Posted 11 July 2006 - 09:46 PM

Congratulations! Well done! Hyvvä!

#6 Nadia Huggins

Nadia Huggins

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Other
  • St. Vincent & the Grenadines

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:58 AM

congrats you must be excited out of your mind !

#7 Riku Naskali

Riku Naskali
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:10 PM

Congrats! Onnea ;)

#8 Maximilian Schmige

Maximilian Schmige
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 July 2006 - 12:44 AM

Hyvä ;) Keep us in touch about the program and the films u will make...

I am very curious what it is like to study in Finland. U r really lucky that u get it all for free.

#9 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:08 AM

Congrats and have fun!

#10 Jonathan Spear

Jonathan Spear
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:28 AM

Sweeet :)

Good luck!

#11 Roberto Hernandez

Roberto Hernandez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Student
  • Orlando, Florida

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:54 AM

Great!! Lots of luck and take in everything!! Make friends/connections and get involved :D

#12 Tony Järvinen

Tony Järvinen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:25 PM

Good job Sakari!

What kind of tests did you go through? How many people tried in? Can you give me some good tips, because I try also to get in studying cinematography next year here, in Finland?

I hope you'll succee in your cinematographers studies :)

Tony

Edited by Tony Järvinen, 20 July 2006 - 02:26 PM.

#13 Sakari Suuronen

Sakari Suuronen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Student
  • Tampere, Finland

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:03 PM

I'v been trying to answer to this topic for days now but always something has come up....but anyway, thanks to everybody for the tremendous support. I couldn't be much more happy now and I'm definetely going after the stuff I want to learn. I think I'm in a priviliged position because I work as an editor already so I have some good contacts allready.

In Finland they accept also foreign students through exchange programs if somebody is intrested.

I was so excited that I ordered the late edition of Cinematography, Painting With Light Film Technology And Post Production Walter Murch's In The Blink Of An Eye. I've been planning to get those books anyway so I felt that there's weren't any more excuses Not To buy them...

To Tony, at first you send you portfolio there. I felt that it was easy for me, cause I've done so much stuff that I had to leave out most of them. Then they invited I think 24 (not sure, but I think they took 8 of us in) us os in the actual exams, which were really laid back. The whole number of the applicants was 505, but it was for the whole media department so I don't know how many people applied for cinematography. There was the interview, which was really pleasant. One storyboard work and writing task about any current domestic media event and also the group task with five random applicants. It was just about basic human skills. Nothing too fance. If you're gonny apply next year, I' d say check out TTVO (Tampere), Taideakatemia (Turku), Stadia Viestinnän koulutusohjelma (Helsinki) and of course TAIK (Helsinki.) And then there's also the second degree program's so and "kansanopistot." I'd say that they most important thing is to do something for the year. Not just to wait if you're lucky enough to get in someday. It's important to build a strong cv beforehand, allthough it sounds a bit silly. It's also crucial to handle critisism the right way and learn from your mistakes and always be willing to go for the extra mile. I know loads of people who are really smart and talented but usually, it doesn't get you too far I you're lazy.
Finally, watch tons of intresting cinema, read books and newspapers and listen to music. There are some really intresting film festivals here in Finland which show cinema from allover the world. I've had so many thrills at R&A, last one when I saw Nicholas Winding Refn's FEAR X couple years ago. There can be many things that inspire you. Like for me, years ago, also at R&A when I saw Harmony Korine's JULIEN DONKEY BOY. It shows that if you're idea is intresting enough you're production values don't matter.

edit: In Finland, we don't get our education for free. We pay it through our taxes, just like everything else which are run by the government. I love paying my taxes ;-)

Edited by Sakari S, 24 July 2006 - 01:08 PM.

#14 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:02 PM

It shows that if you're idea is intresting enough you're production values don't matter.

I'm not sure if that's the best attitude for a guy headed to a prestigious film chool to have. :D

#15 Tony Järvinen

Tony Järvinen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:04 AM

Thanks Sakari, for wide answer!

I have searched information about those schools quite a much and I think TAIK and TTVO have had the best criticism. Still, I think there is good courses in all those schools. I dont know much about those courses in citizensinstitute (=kansalaisopisto? :>) but courses must be thinner than in college (yliopisto, amk:t)?

Speaking about watching films and reading good books etc., I think it's the biggest part of becoming good cinematographer, am I right?

It would be nice to hear your experiences in TTVO's courses when you have started there. Do you have any works downloadable in Internet?

Tony

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam