#1 Jamie Metzger

Jamie Metzger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:53 PM

Amongst everything that was going on, I'm pretty sure I neglected to close the eye piece cover on the sr3 when it went up on the jib.

I was operating off a 5 inch tansvideo display and never noticed any hotspot on the screen from not having my eye cover the eyepiece.

There was an instance when we weren't rolling, and people watching the bigger monitor said that the image was blown out, and I covered the eye piece and it went away, which is what I am used to.

I'm looking for reassurance, if I didn't notice on my transvideo monitor; what are the chances of this film being messed up?

thanks for the help guys.

Jamie Metzger

#2 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:56 AM

I'm looking for reassurance, if I didn't notice on my transvideo monitor; what are the chances of this film being messed up?

thanks for the help guys.

Jamie Metzger

Sorry, but if you didnt close the eyepiece then your film has been fogged. How badly it has been fogged depends on the particular circumstances of your shoot. If you were in a very dark set with no light directly behind the camera the fogging will be less noticable then if you were outdoors.
On a film shoot a monitor is only useful as a guide - it can not show you exposure or critical focus and you should not depend on it regardless of how good you think the monitor is.
Hope this helps

#3 Mike Panczenko

Mike Panczenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Philadelphia, USA

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:20 AM

Sorry, but if you didnt close the eyepiece then your film has been fogged. How badly it has been fogged depends on the particular circumstances of your shoot. If you were in a very dark set with no light directly behind the camera the fogging will be less noticable then if you were outdoors.
On a film shoot a monitor is only useful as a guide - it can not show you exposure or critical focus and you should not depend on it regardless of how good you think the monitor is.
Hope this helps

If I recall correctly, the SR eyepieces have a function where you need to push against the eyepiece for it to open. There will, I assume, still be some slight fogging, I would think it would not be as severe as with other cameras.

#4 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:45 AM

If I recall correctly, the SR eyepieces have a function where you need to push against the eyepiece for it to open. There will, I assume, still be some slight fogging, I would think it would not be as severe as with other cameras.

That was only on the Sr2. The Sr3 eyepiece needs to be closed manually, and even then most assistants would cover it with an eyepiece cover, just to be safe.

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:39 AM

Sorry, but if you didnt close the eyepiece then your film has been fogged. How badly it has been fogged depends on the particular circumstances of your shoot.

Unfortunately, he's right. The monitor setup isn't designed to pick up light going the wrong way through the viewing system (eyepiece to film). The prism where the eyepiece system and the video system diverge won't move light in that direction. Chances are, if you can see the light leak in the video system, then the film is probably terribly fogged since only a portion of the total light would find its way through to video but all (minus what went to video) would go back to the film. :(

#6 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:42 AM

The new Arri 416 eyepiece has an adjustable proximity sensor, so it opens as you lean in and closes when you pull your eye away. Really freaked me out at first, but it does work quite well.

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Tai Audio