#1 Josh Silfen

Josh Silfen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:48 PM

I'm looking for advice on Super16 zoom lenses. All the ones I've worked with have been quite old. I know that there have been great strides in zoom lenses recently with the Optimo series for 35mm, but are there similar sharp modern zooms out there for Super16 as well? Specifically, I'd like to know what Super16 zooms have the best anti-flare coatings and least breathing. Thanks a lot.
-Josh Silfen

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:21 PM

I'm looking for advice on Super16 zoom lenses. All the ones I've worked with have been quite old. I know that there have been great strides in zoom lenses recently with the Optimo series for 35mm, but are there similar sharp modern zooms out there for Super16 as well? Specifically, I'd like to know what Super16 zooms have the best anti-flare coatings and least breathing. Thanks a lot.
-Josh Silfen

check out the newer Canon Super 16 zooms. In my opinion they are great lenses.

chris

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:36 PM

-Josh Silfen

Well, 35mm lenses work perfectlky well for shooting super 16, or regular 16 for that matter. I'm fond of the newer Cooke zooms, personally. The canon super 16 zooms Chris mentions are nice as well. The good standby zeiss 10-100 is a favorite of mine, as well, even being a bit older lens.

#4 Wendell_Greene

Wendell_Greene
  • Sustaining Members
  • 545 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:43 PM

I'd personally recommend you test the Angieneaux 7-81mm zoom.

#5 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:19 PM

I've used both the Canon 8-64 and the Canon 11.5-137 pretty extensively, and they're both great lenses.

#6 Rik Andino

Rik Andino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:01 AM

I second that on the Canon zooms they're very sharp...
And the color rendition is good.

My only qualm with them is that they're huge...
They add at least 5 pounds to the camera outfit.

I wonder if they're any good light-weight zooms for S16?

#7 Stephan Schuh

Stephan Schuh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:22 PM

Hi!
I have just taken a look on a couple of zooms and primes on a projector. Canon 8-64 is still my favourite and looks quite sharp above 2.8 and a half. The Canon 7-63 looked a bit worse, although it is the newer Canon Zoom. If you don´t shoot wide open, the resolution is generally good, even compared to Zeiss Ultraprimes. Flaring and distortion are the major problems of zooms in general. At 16mm focal lenght the distortion of the 8-64 is at its worst. At 12 and 20 mm it is tolerable. Not much you can do about flaring. If the lens is in a bad shape it is getting worse. So check that your Zooms are nice and clean. Of course the Ultraprimes have a better performance at the edge of the frame, but they are expensive and make shooting slow. Ah - and the 8-64 is hardly breathing, I think even less than the Ultraprimes. I wouldn´t shoot on them for 16 unless it is getting really dark and you want to use them wide open.

Best regards from Germany!

Schuh

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc