documentary using z1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Aaron_Farrugia

Aaron_Farrugia
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:48 PM

hello im using the z1 to shoot a documentary
and well the people im working for didnt want it shot in HD but shot in standard
i just needed to know does this camera give the option to shoot in widescreen standard? if so then is it just cropping it or is it full res

and what would you do? they gave us the option of either widescreen or standard 4by3

my thoughts are with widescreen as thats the way technology is going

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:58 PM

hello im using the z1 to shoot a documentary
and well the people im working for didnt want it shot in HD but shot in standard
i just needed to know does this camera give the option to shoot in widescreen standard? if so then is it just cropping it or is it full res

and what would you do? they gave us the option of either widescreen or standard 4by3

my thoughts are with widescreen as thats the way technology is going

Yes, you can set the camera to record DVCam 16:9 but you can also record in HDV and play out from the camera into your NLE in DVCam (DV25 anamorphic for 16:9). That way, if they decide later they would have prefered HDV, you'll already have it. Or you can just shoot and edit in HDV and do a DV25 print-to-tape. The HDV tapes are the same as DV25. Make sure you do some testing first. Full res on that camera is 920x1080 with their pixel shift scheme to mimic 1440x1080 with rectangular pixels. Not sure what the sacrifice is in DVCam mode. The bit rate is the same- 25mbs.

If you're sure you only want standard def, I'd choose a camera that does 24p or 30p (or 25p for PAL), like a DVX-100a or a Canon XL-2.

CineLab

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio