8 replies to this topic

#1 Michael McIntyre

Michael McIntyre
  • Sustaining Members
  • 96 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:56 AM

So, I'm not the DoP, but the EPK guy that shot the behind-the-scenes. Robert Smith lensed "Skills Like This", an actual feature (shot in Colorado! for a change) directed by Monty Miranda with Oscar-winner Donna Dewey producing. I followed some of the making-of with a Sony DSR300a (DVCam).

They went with 2 Sony 900's and a 16mm package for slo-mo's / some fx shots. This shot is of the 'A' camera on a CamMate jib for a prop car tow set-up. I realize there's nothing extraordinary about this particular still other than it's last day, last shot, end of film driveaway. And - it's raining in Colorado of all places. And - yes, the camera's still in the bag.

This is Wynkoop in LoDo (lower downtown) Denver across from Union Station with Coors Field in the distance. I just thought it had that 'what not to do with a CineAlta' feel to it.

Other, more production-minded frame grabs if there's interest in seeing 900's in different setups.
Greetings from D-Town, Mile High Style.

CamCarRain.jpg

#2 Michael McIntyre

Michael McIntyre
  • Sustaining Members
  • 96 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:12 AM

Before the deluge.....CamCarRain2.jpg

#3 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:59 PM

I just thought it had that 'what not to do with a CineAlta' feel to it.

Why is that?

#4 Michael McIntyre

Michael McIntyre
  • Sustaining Members
  • 96 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:21 AM

Why is that?

As I mentioned, the 'A' cam's still wrapped in the plastic bag. The CamMate's sloped downward. The bag's starting to fill with water. Maybe it's just me. Granted, it was a rental but still....

#5 Michael McIntyre

Michael McIntyre
  • Sustaining Members
  • 96 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:42 PM

Ok, I realize wet cameras can be interesting for about a nanosecond. Since there's a bit more to talk about when you can actually see what was getting shot for the E.P.K., here goes....

Again, Sony DSR300a for B-Roll and Interviews. This one location was in a park across the street from the crew set-up, run-and-gun, no lights at dusk. They're each on a director's chair seated in the middle of a concrete slab that provided some (not much) bounce. Camera's about 20' away from each talking head and the depth-of-field got a little interesting.

The 16x9 latterbox is from Nattress FX. Other than that, no cc involved.

Cass.jpg
Freddy.jpg
Caitlin.jpg

#6 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:25 PM

Oh, you didn't mention that the bag was filling with water. Obviously, you don't want any camera to get wet no matter what the format.

#7 Michael McIntyre

Michael McIntyre
  • Sustaining Members
  • 96 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 16 July 2006 - 10:09 PM

Good thing for safety cables.....Safety.jpg

#8 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

Freddy.jpg

What kind of lens is that? I need to know so I can avoid it! I have never seen such bad chromatic aberration in my life! As far as the images are concerned, it has been said before to never show off a shot that didn't take any work to get. If there wasn't any lighting, there isn't much to talk about.

#9 Michael McIntyre

Michael McIntyre
  • Sustaining Members
  • 96 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:23 AM

What kind of lens is that? I need to know so I can avoid it! I have never seen such bad chromatic aberration in my life! As far as the images are concerned, it has been said before to never show off a shot that didn't take any work to get. If there wasn't any lighting, there isn't much to talk about.

Canon YH14x7.3 (I believe). Pretty standard for the Sony DSR300a. Not my camera, nor my lens. It was WFO @ dusk and ~ 20' from the subject to get that blurred background with shallow DOF. It was intentional.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I could've sworn that this forum was about cinematography (which can include videography) in all situations given all sorts of productions and budgets. I worked with what I had at the moment given that all other resources were {obviously} devoted to a film being shot not far away.

I guess I'll think twice before posting.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine