ISO sdx 900. urgent need !!!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rdegracia

rdegracia
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:37 AM

Could someone tell us what is the ISO of the Panasonic dsx 900?? We did the ISO rating yesterday using WFM and following all the instructions and it resulted to be 1600 with the factoy defaults and 24P, testing the three methods advised on the manual!!! Not kidding. What we could have done wrong??? We were supervised by the teacher?.
Is it possible???? 1600 ISO at 24P 0db gain???

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:19 AM

Sounds like there's gain on somewhere, usually these cameras are around the 320 ASA range. Is the S Gain or DS Gain on?

#3 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:12 AM

Sounds like there's gain on somewhere, usually these cameras are around the 320 ASA range. Is the S Gain or DS Gain on?

Yeah,
That sounds right. I think it's listed in the Goodman guide as 320 at 60i. The digital super gain ONLY works in 60i, though, so if he's shooting 24p it would not be DSG. But check your menus for the HML settings (hi, medium, low). Someone who had the camera before you may have set them all at the plus end such as +6, +9, +18. So even though you have your gain switch at "L", L may be set at some increased gain setting.

#4 rdegracia

rdegracia
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:37 AM

No, I am pretty sure that the camera is 24P Odb as I told... and using the three methods of ratin ISO i get around 1500 ISO speed. I am surprised as well... but still trying to guess where is the hidden mistake...

#5 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:30 AM

No, I am pretty sure that the camera is 24P Odb as I told... and using the three methods of ratin ISO i get around 1500 ISO speed. I am surprised as well... but still trying to guess where is the hidden mistake...

Did you check the menu to see where the LMH switches were set? You can't just assume that the "low" switch is set at 0dB.

#6 Ale Reynoso

Ale Reynoso
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:47 PM

Hi
I could be wrong , but I think I have read the sensivity of the SDX-900 to be f13 at 2000 lux. That´s around ISO 1000 or more. The Sony DSR-570 was f11 at 2000 lux and I think it was rated to ISO 800 (+-) equivalent.
I´ve never used the Panasonic, but I will have my opportunity next weekend!

Best regards
Alejandro

#7 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:06 PM

The SDX900 has great sensitivity, but not that great. It is impossible to simply assign any video camera an ISO equivalent as they do not read exposure in the same way film does. But for a decent ballpark number, 640 ISO is close enough. But remember that it is easy to adjust many parameters in the camera that will drastically alter the camera's imaging and sensitivity. Fiddling with the Master Gamma, the Knee Slope and the Black Pedastal are a few quick ways to really affect your image.

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

CineTape

CineLab

Tai Audio