#1 Stuart Hughes

Stuart Hughes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:20 PM

Im the Head of ICT at a Performing Arts school and have been creating and editing films up to
a reasonably high, amatuer, level.
:blink:
Ive been shooting with seperate sound fed from the sound deck miked up to the whole stage.
I needed to do this because the cam corders Ive got just are not cutting it sound wise.
Canon Mv700i
So recording sound seperately has worked well but can overload and get fuzzy.
Should I add a simple volume control box between the sound deck and the camera?
Is there any cheap kit for recording sound.
I also tried recording it directly to the laptop but was getting interferience.
Whats the best way?

Editing wise, the learning curve has been STEEP!
I started by using Windows Movie Maker 2 but have outgrown it and run out of tracks.
Ive tinkered with both Premier and Avid Free.

Im tempted to try using Avid Free, cos its free and I can pass the skills and software onto my students.
Or should I use Premier.
Id probably have carried on using Movie Maker if it wasnt for the fact that I cant zoom in or crop and I need more tracks.

#2 Stuart Hughes

Stuart Hughes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:32 AM

oh and id love to know how to create the start screens with click buttons to movie files on the dvd disc.
And does anyone know how to burn the disc in a format that will run on most home dvd systems automatically?

#3 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:02 PM

I would recomend premiere, simply because I started with it in 97 or 98 when it was in 4.2 and I have yet to grow out of it (in fact they have been upgrading it as my skills grow, and to date its a very professional program) Its relativley inexpensive and everything you need an NLE to do it will do quite well. I must admit though I don't have experience with Avid Free (I have worked on Avid DVXPRESS 3.5, 4.0 and the new HD version) but find premiere to be quite capable in the pro 2.0 version.

As far as audio goes your deck should have something to control levels. If it doesn't I would worry that it has an automatic level circut which would be worse than recording to your cameras. If you feel confident it does not have auto levels on, I would recomend a mixer put between the two. You can get simple 4 track mixers for under 80 bucks. This way not only can you control levels (and see a VU to make sure your are recording as hot as possible without peaking) but you can also tailor the EQ to the persons voice and mic position, reducing work required in post (work that adds noise) Also a compressor/limitter would be good under certain circumstances if you want even better control over audio pre-recording. One thing I have heard from pro audio guys (I am more camera side, but at this point in my career, I have a hand in most pies when I'm on set) that if you run the mic to a distrabution amp and record one track maybe 6db hotter than the other, you have more headroom. If one track gets blown out, use the other one.

As far as burning DVDs there are several programs. MySonic DVD is allright, very limited in its capabilities, but it will get the job done and will play in all home DVD players. My favorite right now is Adobe DVD. It has a more robust feature set, you can place buttons whereever you want, you can create your own and have a lot of control over the look and flow of the menus and DVD features, but it is more expensive.

hope this helps.

#4 Josh Bass

Josh Bass
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:05 PM

Also try Vegas for editing software. There' s a free demo.

#5 Stuart Hughes

Stuart Hughes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:00 PM

Thanks guys.
Im definitely gonna check out Adobe DVD and Premier.

Is there a good site you can recommend to give me
hints and tips on shooting and editing?

Cheers
Stu

#6 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:19 PM