1 reply to this topic

#1 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:29 AM

Most interviews I've seen and shot are usually lit a little more contrasty (the good ones anyway, not talking cable hardlight stuff) but I was playing around in the studio today and using two 1k chimeras as the key: one mounted just below the camera, and one just above and shooting between. What I'm getting, and this will not be a surprise to you experienced chaps, is a rather glamorous, shadowless look. I think it looks good but a little atypical for an interview and certainly not for all jobs.

My question would be, in what type of situations do you think this might be applicable? I think for women it looks great. I can see it if perhaps we were interviewing a celebrity.... I don't know, any thoughts?

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 July 2006 - 02:11 PM

There are some people that just don't take contrasty light well at all. Our states govenor (aside from having the lowest approval rating of any govenor except one who was indicted on a felony or something) is basicly a gargoyle, and I have to apply glamor esque lighting when interviewing him when possible, just to keep viewers. Like you said a beautiful woman always benefits from glamor lighting, unless they have particularly angular features like high cheakbones or a sharp chin etc. then a little more contrast can highlight these features, if attractive. People with good skin benefit. I guess the best advice is just look at the light, see how it plays, store that in your memory banks. When you run accross the right situation your mind should recall that test and you would go to work.

CineTape

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Tai Audio