Photo

Storyboarding software: FrameForge 3D Studio 2? Anyone use it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lance Boyle

Lance Boyle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:59 PM

I'm in the market for a good SB program, since I can't draw, can't afford someone who can, and would like to do more specific planning of shots.

Anyone have any experience with this program, or suggest a program that works well?

Thanks.

FrameForge 3D Website

Edited by spiritlanternfilms, 14 July 2006 - 02:01 PM.

#2 Jesus Sifuentes

Jesus Sifuentes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Producer
  • Texas

Posted 14 July 2006 - 03:11 PM

When I first heard about this software I was really excited. I downloaded the trial version to give it a shot. Have to admit that the program was really complicated at least for me. It almost seems that you have to have a complete knownledge of 3D animation skills to even miss with it. After reading the manual and doing a some tutorials I still had a hard time messing with it. I personally hired an illustrator to do my storyboards, just wanted to give the program a chance. You should download the free trial and see if it works for u.

#3 Kim Sargenius

Kim Sargenius
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:50 PM

Hi there,

Program or no program - anything more than just a quick stick figure or floor plan is going to take some time and some skill.

I've tried Frame Forge a few times and always find myself lost in all the detail, losing sense of the general feel of the shot I'm working. I ended up doing thumbnail sketches and floor plans for myself before I even tried the shot in Frame Forge, and at that point I had what I needed for my needs - a visual indication to communicate the shot to others.

I would probably say that for the price of Frame Forge you're better off enrolling in a drawing class. ANYONE can bring their drawing skills up to a level where others can recognise what you've drawn - it just takes practice, practice, practice.

If you're looking to Frame Forge (or similar) for help with 3D space, perspective and lens field-of-view, you can get a lot from open source programs like Blender and SketchUp.

Hope this helped :)

Kim Sargenius
cinematographer
sydney

#4 Andy Sparaco SOC

Andy Sparaco SOC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 203 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago and most airline lounges

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:34 PM

You might try this:

http://6sys.com/Springboard/

Fast, easy to use, inexpensive

#5 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

I have used FrameForge some in the past. For example, on the project "Room Service" that I wrote on here about that took place in an actual hotel room, I used the real dimensions of the room to confirm if certain shots would even be possible in the space we were dealing with.

It is a very slow, but I found, easy program to use. It has plenty of glitches though, so it can be rather annoying at times, but very cool in the right situation.

Kevin Zanit

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

CineLab

Tai Audio

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment