Photo

Which Super 8 cameras are best for sync sound?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jamie W

Jamie W

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:10 PM

What Super 8 cameras are silent enough to do short sound-sync dialogue? Thanks.

#2 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:56 PM

What Super 8 cameras are silent enough to do short sound-sync dialogue? Thanks.

From what i've been told the Nizo sound cameras, 1048, 4080 etc are the quietest with the 6080 being the best.

I believe this website makes a sync unit for them too:
http://users.aol.com/fmgp/sync8.htm

Edited by Andy_Alderslade, 16 July 2006 - 12:57 PM.

#3 Bryan Darling

Bryan Darling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Director
  • Sacramento, CA

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:43 PM

I use a Nizo 2056. I've never heard a quiter camera. People have asked me if it's running. The link above is where I'm going to send mine in to have it crystalized. They also make a device that hooks between the camera and the sound recorder. It places a tone and flashes the film, allowing a sync mark without using a slate. Great way to keep things "on the run" and save film by not having to use a clapstick.

#4 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:34 PM

I am using a Bealieu 5008 with a custom made blimp. I am having the camera fully serviced and lubed which I hope will quiet it down a bit.

A blimp is simply a must for any super 8 camera. No super 8 camera I've ever heard has been as quiet as a Arri SRII for example, and the SRIIs are too loud to use unblimped in many situations.

#5 Bryan Darling

Bryan Darling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Director
  • Sacramento, CA

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:26 PM

A blimp is simply a must for any super 8 camera. No super 8 camera I've ever heard has been as quiet as a Arri SRII for example, and the SRIIs are too loud to use unblimped in many situations.

I must say that with the Nizo 2056 I have, I don't see the need for a blimp. Every camera is different. A lot depends on situations you are in. For instance being in a small room that is almost dead silent and the camera is right by the mic, will be more a problem with most cameras. However, how often are you in those situations? There are always work-arounds to many sound issues- camera placement, mic placement, and ambient noise levels that mask the camera noise, etc. The bulk of it will land on how good your sound recordings are.

Speaking from experience, it's very important that you find experienced people when doing sound. This doesn't mean hiring full on professionals, but finding someone who is very knowledgeable about sound and recording techniques. The best method is to test out the camera and your recording equipment. Do some shooting and see how it all works. It will give you some knowledge and experience in regards to equipment, techniques, and various situations. Think of it as money spent on education, your own little film school. Look for books about sync sound shooting and editing, etc.

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport