zeiss lens questions - help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shutter bug

shutter bug
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:27 AM

im looking and getting some zeiss lenses. im just a bit confused with the various models. ive seen superspeeds and distagons. i thnk ive even seen a planar in 16mm lenses but im not sure.

my question is, doe anybody know what order of quality the various older zeiss lenses fall into?

which lenses cover super16 sharply,softly and not at all?

what does everybody think of the quality?

thanks

#2 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 July 2006 - 10:40 AM

In Super16 there are two Zeiss lens series: the Superspeeds and the brandnew Ultra16 lenses. The Superspeeds are T1.3 and go from 9.5mm to 85mm. The Ultra16 lenses, which are based on the same technology as the Ultra Primes and Master Primes, cover 6mm, 8mm, 9.5mm and 12mm. For longer focal lenghts you can use Ultra Primes, Master Primes or Superspeeds.

Distagon and Planar as well as Sonnar refer to different types of optical designs, i.e. there are Ultra 16, Ultra Primes and Master Primes that are Distagon and Sonnar design for instance.

#3 shutter bug

shutter bug
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:00 AM

In Super16 there are two Zeiss lens series: the Superspeeds and the brandnew Ultra16 lenses. The Superspeeds are T1.3 and go from 9.5mm to 85mm. The Ultra16 lenses, which are based on the same technology as the Ultra Primes and Master Primes, cover 6mm, 8mm, 9.5mm and 12mm. For longer focal lenghts you can use Ultra Primes, Master Primes or Superspeeds.

Distagon and Planar as well as Sonnar refer to different types of optical designs, i.e. there are Ultra 16, Ultra Primes and Master Primes that are Distagon and Sonnar design for instance.

thanks for the info. ive just seem some arri standard mount zeiss lenses that are as fast as the superspeeds et labeled distagons. anybody know what lenses cover super16 sharply?

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC