Graphics Card for Multimedia Applications?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 The Kyle

The Kyle
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2006 - 03:49 PM

This an unusual topic I'm sure, but I'm getting ready to build my own media workhorse computer and I was hoping someone here might be able to give me a little advice on what sort of specs I should look for when buying a new graphics card.

The reason I'm posting here, and not some misc. computer building type forum, is because I'm not planning on doing any (significant) gaming with the machine. So I probably don't need the most expensive, state-of-the-art card. It just needs to be powerful enough to run Premiere smoothly and I suppose it could have a little extra "oomph" for After Effects usage.

The bottom line is, it needn't have excessive 3D capabilities (the kind of thing you would need if you were running Maya or wanted a screaming gaming machine).

The rest of my computer specs will be approximately as follows:
2Gb RAM
2.2 GHz Dual Core Processor
500+ Gb Hard Drive

The two main manufacturers of graphics chips (that I know of) are NVidia and ATI. Both of their sites are geared toward the gamer for the most part and don't reccommend much in the way of general multimedia use.

The ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon X800 XT and the All-in-Wonder Radeon X1900 seem to be pretty good cards for this kind of thing....

Anyway, all advice is appreciated

Thanks,

- Kyle

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:25 PM

Hi,

The Matrox Parhelia series tends to be reliable for this sort of work, mainly because unlike people like ATI and nVidia, their focus isn't on direct3D gaming - so you tend to get better 2D and openGL drivers. The former is particularly important in Premiere, which is notorious for using every obscure directdraw extension that Microsoft ever thought of, and the second can become an issue if you work in After Effects where the openGL previews are often fastest.

Phil

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Opal

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Visual Products