#1 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:43 AM

Which Super 8 camera has the best picture quality (sharpness)?

Matthew Buick

#2 John Adolfi

John Adolfi
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Producer
  • Fulton, N.Y.

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:28 AM

Matt,

After scouring this forum it looks like the Leicina Special with the 10mm cineagon lense wins. However you'll also see many who insist that the Nikon R-10, Nizo 6080 and Canon 1014, 814XL excell. Oh and a second runner up is the Beaulieu 4008-9008 with the Schneider 6-80 lens.

#3 Mike Crane

Mike Crane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:25 PM

The Nikon R10 has delivered the sharpest picture I have ever gotten. Exposes film excellently as well.

#4 A.Oliver

A.Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Other
  • Croydon UK

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:13 PM

Hi, sharpest super 8 cartridge footage i have so far acheived is with the leicina special with 10mm cinegon on k40 ( expect fuji 50 should yeild sharper images ), the 6-80 angenieux fitted to some beaulieus gives superb results, beats any canon,bauer,eumig,sankyo,chinon and elmo lens by miles. Sharpest super 8 images i have ever seen and acheived is thru a bolex double super 8 camera using k25 with switar primes.

Edited by k25rip, 16 July 2006 - 04:14 PM.

#5 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:59 AM

the 6-80 angenieux fitted to some beaulieus gives superb results, beats any canon,bauer,eumig,sankyo,chinon and elmo lens by miles.

I don't know, I just did a test with both the angenieux 6-80mm zoom and a canon 15 - 102 zoom on a Beaulieu 5008 and I thought the canon may have been a bit sharper, but I need to do a more rigorous test (shoot some charts etc) to know for sure. It seems to me that the Angenieux may have gone softer than the Canon when shooting wide open.

#6 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:48 PM

I have shot very detailed images using Plus X in my Bauer S715XL with Angenieux 6-90mm lens. But always remember that the best shots require sufficient light.

#7 Retrogorilla

Retrogorilla
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:25 PM

I have shot very detailed images using Plus X in my Bauer S715XL with Angenieux 6-90mm lens. But always remember that the best shots require sufficient light.

I was gonna ask you guys about that. How does the Bauer S715XL stack up to the Leicina's of this world?

#8 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:35 PM

I've never shot with the Leicina, but I've shot with almost all the other top S8 cams, and so far, the Nikon R-10 looked best to me.
I've shot stuff in very low light with it, with Kodachrome 40, and it still exposed well.
The Canon 1014XL-S, Bauer750XL & the Nizo 6080 were very close to each other, at a close second to the Nikon R-10
in my non-scientific tests.

MP

#9 A.Oliver

A.Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Other
  • Croydon UK

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:23 AM

Hi, my bauer 715 went soft at around f2.8-1.4. I mean it went completely out of focus, so i guess the back focus was incorrectly set up. My previous 3 canon 1014xls and current 814xls went and go soft around f4-1.4. Current beaulieu 7008 with correctly set up 6-80 lens is a lot sharper than any previously mentioned camera, especially wide open. Beaulieu footage is excellent, canon footage in binable. I have seen nikon R10 k40 footage projected and the image quality was great, appeared sharper than 1014 footage of the same subject. I have found the best looking 64t images have been obtained thru the 6-80 lens. I wonder if this lens was set up for tunsgten film, k40 images via the 6-80 look great, yet 16mm k40 images via zeiss primes lack the warmth and vibrant colours!!!!!!

Edited by k25rip, 18 July 2006 - 05:24 AM.

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Opal

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera