Erik Anschicks

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:10 AM

I am doing an upcoming project where I had thought about a possibility that I had no idea if anyone had any experience with...

My idea was to shoot an exterior scene correctly balanced (unsure of film stock as of now), but then use large tungsten units like a Big Eye 10K or a Nine Light Maxi for the lighting as opposed to HMIs, and THEN, use a bleach bypass on the resulting image. I realize this is certainly unconventional, but I am going for a very distinct look and I was curious to see if anyone out there had done this same process and what the results yielded in terms of seeing how the bleaching would affect the warmer light from the tungsten units.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:29 PM

I am doing an upcoming project where I had thought about a possibility that I had no idea if anyone had any experience with...

My idea was to shoot an exterior scene correctly balanced (unsure of film stock as of now), but then use large tungsten units like a Big Eye 10K or a Nine Light Maxi for the lighting as opposed to HMIs, and THEN, use a bleach bypass on the resulting image. I realize this is certainly unconventional, but I am going for a very distinct look and I was curious to see if anyone out there had done this same process and what the results yielded in terms of seeing how the bleaching would affect the warmer light from the tungsten units.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The areas of the scene lit by tunsten lighting will be considerably warmer (more orange-yellow) than the areas lit by daylight.

ECN-2 "Bleach bypass" leaves silver in the highlight areas of the negative, which will tend to desaturate colors but not change their hue.

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

CineLab

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc