Les Wynn

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:57 PM

Hi all,
New here so I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I was looking into purchasing a Canon xl2 for some filming outside and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the whole e-bay thing. I've looked at the camera places and the xl2 is in the $4000 range and you basically get the camera.

On e-bay they have all those "Package Deals" where it comes with a tripod, extra battery, carrying case, etc, but also a couple of extra lenses, like the 2x and the wide angle. I'm assuming the 2x is a doubler??

Are those the real Canon xl2's or are they like the European grey market type things? Would I get stuck with an inferior product that isn't covered by Canon or it the same thing?

Sorry if I'm not the brightest bulb on the score board. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time,

Les

#2 Zamir Merali

Zamir Merali
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:15 AM

Hello

I bought the exact same package that you are talking about right now and it was awsome. I got the xl2 in its real Canon box, all the support, tons of extra things and the price was less than i have seen it anywhere else by atleast 1000 dollars. The problem is that some of the things they include in the package are not meant for the xl2. For example the tripod is flimsy and will break if you keep the xl2 on it and the telephoto lens doesn't work with the xl2 ccd. Other than that everthing else worked, i really liked the filters and the wide lens they gave you.

Definately buy this package if you want an xl2 because it is very cheap compared to most places and has a few other great accessories.

#3 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 22 July 2006 - 07:37 PM

The camera is fine for what it is, but I'd advise you to be very wary of purchasing used or greymarket video tape decks of any sort, camera or no. Especially off eBay. Heads wear out, transports go out of alignment, careless operators jam tapes in without any respect for the machine, warranties are nonexistent, and repairs are expensive. The old line, "Buy cheap, pay dear!" was tailor made for the used video deck market.

#4 Les Wynn

Les Wynn

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:20 PM

Thank you very much for the replies.

I would definitely buy new, my main concern with the E-Bay thing is getting a camera that doesn't actually come with the Canon warranty and may not be as good as actually getting the camera from a camera store.

I would like to get a 2x doubler if they actually work good and don't totally mess up the picture. I guess my main question is would a new camera on E-Bay from one of the camera places end up being a savings in the long run or would it come back to bite me in the butt?

Thanks again for the replies, I really appreciate it a lot.

Les

#5 Zamir Merali

Zamir Merali
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:33 PM

the wide lens and the telephoto lens on the ebay deal are meant for a smaller ccd size so they make a circle of picture inthe middle of the frame and the rest is black.

#6 Les Wynn

Les Wynn

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:04 AM

Thank you very much.

Les

Ritter Battery

Technodolly