Nelson Rocha

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:15 PM

hi everyone

I am new in this forum, I am freelance camera operator in Portugal, and am to think about buying a steadycam. My questions are, for a good price what can i buy, i dont want to spend much money with, i saw some produtcs like, artemis, glicam, and basson, i want something good. The second question, is if I sweat it of steadycam it is hard??

thaks

Dunga

#2 Alexandre Lucena

Alexandre Lucena
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:42 PM

Hi Nelson,

Eu fabrico,sob encomenda,estabilizadores para cameras de video ate 13kg. Modelo semelhante a o
GPI PRO. Se VC quiser mais informacoes mande um email para alexandre@oficinadeimagens.com.br
terei o maior prazer de atende_lo

Alexandre Lucena
55 81 91527817

Sorry everyone for writing in Portuguese.

#3 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 20 July 2006 - 12:43 PM

hi everyone

I am new in this forum, I am freelance camera operator in Portugal, and am to think about buying a steadycam. My questions are, for a good price what can i buy, i dont want to spend much money with, i saw some produtcs like, artemis, glicam, and basson, i want something good. The second question, is if I sweat it of steadycam it is hard??

thaks

Dunga

The quick answer is yes, it can be difficult. It takes a lot of practice before you would even want to think about selling yourself to clients.

You can find used equipment at fairly decent prices, relatively speaking, but you don't want to get gear that won't carry the cameras you need to. There are many different types of Steadicams all with different weight ratings and other features. Don't underbuy just to save money if you want to take this seriously.

Head to http://www.steadicam-ops.com or http://www.steadicamforum.com/forums to talk directly to professionals who operate for a living. You'll also find Classified ads with used equipment.

Good luck!

#4 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 July 2006 - 02:21 PM

You should definately go to the steadicam forum and search the archives there. There is a lot of great information for new and aspiring operators.
The first thing I would tell you is you shouldn't rush into buying gear if you're not sure what's involved. A good way to learn about steadicam and find out whether it's something you want to do or not is to take a workshop. This will give you an opportunity to fly different rigs and cameras and see if you like it and find out if you're cut out for it or not. It's not for everyone, and a workshop is an inexpensive way to find out what it's like.
Good luck.

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 July 2006 - 03:34 PM

I wouldn't even consider buying a Steadicam without attending a workshop. It's very different to traditional operating and there are quite a few techniques to learn - never mind knowing how to set up and balance the rig.

The workshop will also give you information on the various Steadicam models available and different market sectors.

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Opal

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery