Photo

The increadable Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:05 PM

I was watching TCM last night and they ran the restored cut of Sam Peckinpah's at Garrett and Billy the Kid. I have recently been watching several of Peckinpah's film and have developed a new found appreciation for his genius as a filmmaker. The subtelty of his vision for me had always been , until recently, obscured by the violent content that is the halmark of his films, however, if there were ever any doubts as to the artistry of his craft, they were blow to dust after seeing this masterpiece. The version which was re-edited in 2005 to as close as is possible at this time to Peckinpah's original cut, was utterly mesmerizing. The cinematography was breath-taking, the preformances supurb and the direction masterful. This film is at the same time beautiful and horrifying. Peckenpah concidered this his best work until his cut was re-edited. He then sued to have his name removed from the picture, and I my opinion rightfully so.

As with Apacolypse Now, in my opinion, this is the ONLY version that should be shown. I firmly believe that in most cases a director should be the one that decides what the final cut should be. There are occations when a director becomes self-indulgent and needs to have the reigns pulled in but in may instances, in some misguided move to increase profits, producers sabotage the artistic flow of a film and end up loosing profits because they have no faith in the audience and don't understand art, thinking what worked before will work again...regardless of the film's content or artistic vision.

Edited by Capt.Video, 20 July 2006 - 04:07 PM.

#2 Oscar Godfrey

Oscar Godfrey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:00 PM

yes

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

The Slider