Canon K35 35mm Lenses

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 acoreasc

acoreasc
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2006 - 11:38 PM

Has anyone ever shot with the Canon K35 prime lenses that were fitted for use with 35mm motion picture cameras? They are pretty fast (T1.3-1.5) but I was wondering what anyone thought of them. As detailed an answer as possible regarding the lenses would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:54 AM

The only time I ever used the Canons was in filmschool. They are not really used for professional filmmaking anymore. They are less flare resistant and less sharp that the Zeiss Superpseeds.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:29 AM

I used them on my first 35mm feature because that's what Leonetti rented along with their Ultracams. By the end of the shoot, we had to get a Panaflex with Zeiss lenses to finish the show, and that's when I noticed that the Canon's were slightly less sharp than the Zeiss, but it wasn't horrible or anything. The Canons are acceptable, although I'd probably avoid shooting them wide-open.

#4 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:32 AM

I own a set of K35s. It's true that they flare a good deal when shooting into lights, which is why they aren't my only set of primes. However, in situations where flare isn't an issue, and most (though not necessarily all) direct lighting is out of the frame, they have a special and unique quality in terms of color, sharpness, and depth of field. A similar shot with a Zeiss will give you a more "neutral" look. So, it's all a matter of what you're trying to achieve.

#5 Nico Hardy

Nico Hardy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:54 PM

I recently shoot a TV spot with them, and while at the telecine suite the colorist commented: "these lenses sure are sharp & snappy, shoot it with Ultra Primes?"
And to think that I was going for a different look.

Cheers.

#6 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:59 PM

Hi,

They breath more than Zeiss Super Speeds but I think they are sharper wide open. I have not used them recently although I own an 18mm. The biggest complaint was from the focus puller!

Stephen

#7 acoreasc

acoreasc
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:48 PM

Thank you all for the comments - I was looking for a cheaper set of lenses to own as my first set....I got a 18,25,35,50 and 85mm for $7,500 US - The optics were in perfect shape so I snapped them up. Thanks alot for all the comments

#8 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:22 AM

Thank you all for the comments - I was looking for a cheaper set of lenses to own as my first set....I got a 18,25,35,50 and 85mm for $7,500 US - The optics were in perfect shape so I snapped them up. Thanks alot for all the comments

Hi,

Was that the set on Ebay that did not hit thr reserve?

Stephen

#9 acoreasc

acoreasc
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:15 AM

Hi,

Was that the set on Ebay that did not hit thr reserve?

Stephen

Funny you mention that - I almost got fleeced by this guy in London - I think it was the same set - K35s that he wanted to be paid off of Ebay with Western Union....a total sham. He tried to do the same with a set of Zeiss Superspeeds, but ebay pulled the listings I believe....No, these I got from a private seller in Florida.

#10 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:02 PM

Funny you mention that - I almost got fleeced by this guy in London - I think it was the same set - K35s that he wanted to be paid off of Ebay with Western Union....a total sham. He tried to do the same with a set of Zeiss Superspeeds, but ebay pulled the listings I believe....No, these I got from a private seller in Florida.

Hi,

He also sold some Van Diemen/Cooke speed pancros, no feedback got left! The auction got copied 10 or more times.

Stephen

#11 Derek

Derek

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:37 PM

I own a set of K35s. It's true that they flare a good deal when shooting into lights, which is why they aren't my only set of primes. However, in situations where flare isn't an issue, and most (though not necessarily all) direct lighting is out of the frame, they have a special and unique quality in terms of color, sharpness, and depth of field. A similar shot with a Zeiss will give you a more "neutral" look. So, it's all a matter of what you're trying to achieve.

Does it cover super 35?

Appreciate any info.

I was wondering if these Canon lenses cover Super 35, please shed some light.

Thanks.

#12 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:30 AM

Does it cover super 35?

Appreciate any info.
I was wondering if these Canon lenses cover Super 35, please shed some light.

Thanks.

Hi,

Yes they do, however I don't know if they will work on a mini 35 adapter.

Stephen

#13 Derek

Derek

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:12 AM

Hi,

Yes they do, however I don't know if they will work on a mini 35 adapter.

Stephen

Thanks。

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Visual Products

Glidecam

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc