• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darryl walthall

darryl walthall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:58 PM

Can I achieve a sharper image, with less grain, by manipulating the shutter angle or speed ? And if so, do I open the shutter or close the shutter to help achieve a sharp , grainless image?

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:22 PM

Can I achieve a sharper image, with less grain, by manipulating the shutter angle or speed ? And if so, do I open the shutter or close the shutter to help achieve a sharp , grainless image?

Hi,

A smaller shutter angle will give a sharper image as the exposure time is reduced. For a grainless image shoot with a low speed film.
Last week I saw a film being shot with a Viper with a 90 degree shutter angle. The Images were sharp and grainless!

Stephen

#3 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Z├╝rich, Switzerland

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:43 PM

smaller shutter angle = less motionblur = sharper image (but strobe-effect)

smaller shutter angle = less light on film = more lamps (or higher asa)

or

smaller shutter angle = less light on film = to shoot wide open = softer image

if you don't have enough light you could be forced to use higher asa, that could result in more grain... or you might film wide open (f-stop wise) that could result in softer images...

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:32 PM

No. Grain and sharpness of a film image is a product of the speed of the film and how you expose it.

What the shutter angle can do, on the other hand, is control motion blur. A 90 degree shutter opening will have less motion blur than a 180 degree shutter opening. It will also, however, show a greaterstrobing effect because the time between exposures is slightly greater. It will also require a stop more light because it yields an exposure time half of that of a 180 degree shutter opening.

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Opal

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC