• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 darryl walthall

darryl walthall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:21 PM

I'm shooting a day light scene for a music video. I want the hot undifussed look of an hot summer day in Los Angeles. The director would like a slighty brown earth tone to the overrall image. I am thinking of using a light tobacco filter or even a subtle warming filter. Does anyone have experience with the tobacco filter ? How does it look or effect the overall image?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:36 PM

Err... it makes it tabacco-colored? It's just like a Chocolate or Sepia filter, give the whole image that tone, but it's a more brassy, bronze-color than Chocolate or Sepia.

It's stronger in effect than a light warming filter like an 812 or 1/8 Coral, and loses more light. You should try the Tobacco, since this is for a music video. You can always tweak it to be more subtle in the telecine if you need to.

#3 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:59 PM

I really like the Choclolates (1,2,3) and especially Antique Suedes for that hot, dusty look. (I guess it would also work for that hot, humid look too.) I'm not too fond of Tobaccos, mainly because they are too strong. Even the #1 is really "hot." #3 looks like Mars. If you have the option, (if in LA not problem) you should check out your rental houses filter selection. Some like to use the #85 to warm up daylight balanced scenes.

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc