Alexis Mayer

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other
  • Boston

Posted 21 July 2006 - 02:57 PM

I'm going to be shooting the credits for my film on an oxbury animation stand next week, I've never used an animation stand before, and I was hoping someone could recommend a few good human readable resources to study up on it before I go in there. I will have someone there explain everything to me initially, but I know I will get confused and I'd like to have some reliable references with me in case I run into any problems and no one is around to help. Thanks!

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:44 PM

I'm going to be shooting the credits for my film on an oxbury animation stand next week, I've never used an animation stand before, and I was hoping someone could recommend a few good human readable resources to study up on it before I go in there. I will have someone there explain everything to me initially, but I know I will get confused and I'd like to have some reliable references with me in case I run into any problems and no one is around to help. Thanks!

Hi,

About the only book written AFAIK is:-

http://www.amazon.co...8...ce&n=266239

An Oxberry camera only runs at about 3 fps. Other than that its just a camera with good registration. What exactly do you want to do?

Stephen

#3 Alexis Mayer

Alexis Mayer

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other
  • Boston

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:02 PM

Hi,

About the only book written AFAIK is:-

http://www.amazon.co...8...ce&n=266239

An Oxberry camera only runs at about 3 fps. Other than that its just a camera with good registration. What exactly do you want to do?

Stephen

Well I am shooting titlecards (credits really) using transparencies. I need to know basic things like how to meter the light, how many seconds to expose each transparency if I want 7 seconds of film for each card (knowing that it runs at about 3 fps helps with that question), could light leak happen because of something other than a leaky magazine. Also just any common problems and their solutions.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:46 PM

Well I am shooting titlecards (credits really) using transparencies. I need to know basic things like how to meter the light, how many seconds to expose each transparency if I want 7 seconds of film for each card (knowing that it runs at about 3 fps helps with that question), could light leak happen because of something other than a leaky magazine. Also just any common problems and their solutions.

Hi,

An Oxberry with a Mitchell magazine will not leak light if you close the door of the camera! I have shot film with over 200 passes of the same film and never a problem.
An Oxberry will have a frame counter so if you want 7 seconds you need 168 frames. Time out your sound track first then you can shoot exactly to length without needing any editing!
Take a light reading of the lightbox. Because its white overexpose by 2.5 stops. The exposure is 1/6 sec. Often there is Poloriser on the lens by default, take it off or allow another 1.5 stops.

Stephen

#5 Alexis Mayer

Alexis Mayer

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other
  • Boston

Posted 21 July 2006 - 05:09 PM

Hi,

An Oxberry with a Mitchell magazine will not leak light if you close the door of the camera! I have shot film with over 200 passes of the same film and never a problem.
An Oxberry will have a frame counter so if you want 7 seconds you need 168 frames. Time out your sound track first then you can shoot exactly to length without needing any editing!
Take a light reading of the lightbox. Because its white overexpose by 2.5 stops. The exposure is 1/6 sec. Often there is Poloriser on the lens by default, take it off or allow another 1.5 stops.

Stephen

Great! Thanks for all the info! I'm hoping the animation stand just looks a lot more intimidating that it really is.

~Alexis

#6 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:41 AM

Great! Thanks for all the info! I'm hoping the animation stand just looks a lot more intimidating that it really is.

~Alexis

Hi,

The controls will be minimal unless it has been fitted stepper or servo motors. Normally I would expect the following:-

Single frame button,
Cont run button
FRD/Reverse run
Buckle switch
Take up tension. Take care that the takes up's are moving!
Fade/dissolve In/out. Make sure the shutter is set to 170 degrees!
Capping shutter, must be open if fitted!
Frame counter

Stephen

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera