#1 christopher conway

christopher conway

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:07 AM

my name is chris and i have decided to make a documentary that will occur over a period of 112 days. i have no idea where to start. i came up with a great plan but i have no idea how to get the plan rolling. money is a big issue and what cameras i should use. i have always wanted to make a film and now that i have an idea for one i really want to get it started. any help would be useful. guides or how to books would be cool.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:41 AM

Money sort of determines an awful lot... we could make suggestions and be completely off the mark in terms of what you can afford.

#3 christopher conway

christopher conway

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:58 AM

Money sort of determines an awful lot... we could make suggestions and be completely off the mark in terms of what you can afford.

im not quite sure how much money i will recieve. i am hoping to get corporate sponsorship.

#4 Paul Wizikowski

Paul Wizikowski
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:16 PM

im not quite sure how much money i will recieve. i am hoping to get corporate sponsorship.

Well start with the things that don't require money. Flesh our your idea. Find locations. Preproduce, preproduce, and preproduce some more. Determine what its going to take gear/crew/talent wise to get wha you want. From there you can start to determine just how much money you are going to need. Research your topic. Try to see how its been covered before. Decide what your going to do with your finished product. If you don't know these things, no one is going to give you any money. Its your job to count all the costs and approach your sponsor(s) with what you need.

And not to tear you down but if you are asking this question with this monumental of a project (112 shoot days) I recommend you scale back and work on smaller projects to get a better handle on production as a whole. Build up to this so you can do it right and in doing so, do it for less money.

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport