#1 Timothy David Orme

Timothy David Orme
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Director
  • Boise, ID

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:34 PM

I'm going to be working on a few short films over the next few months that I'm shooting on SD8 and 35mm. The goal is to crop the sd8 to a 1:85 aspect ratio to match the 35mm. We're shooting the sd8 footage on a Nizo 6080, so there isn't the greatest viewfinder (although it is a reflex). So here's my question: Does anyone have any tips to help me frame up the sd8 footage to a 1:85 so I can shoot without worrying about chopping someone's head off when we crop the image.

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:19 PM

I'm going to be working on a few short films over the next few months that I'm shooting on SD8 and 35mm. The goal is to crop the sd8 to a 1:85 aspect ratio to match the 35mm. We're shooting the sd8 footage on a Nizo 6080, so there isn't the greatest viewfinder (although it is a reflex). So here's my question: Does anyone have any tips to help me frame up the sd8 footage to a 1:85 so I can shoot without worrying about chopping someone's head off when we crop the image.

Is the intercut SD8 footage intended to simulate a "home movie" look within your 35mm 1.85:1 production? If so, you probably want to "pillar box" the native 1.33:1 aspect ratio, rather than lose so much image area by cropping the height.

#3 Timothy David Orme

Timothy David Orme
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Director
  • Boise, ID

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:56 PM

Is the intercut SD8 footage intended to simulate a "home movie" look within your 35mm 1.85:1 production? If so, you probably want to "pillar box" the native 1.33:1 aspect ratio, rather than lose so much image area by cropping the height.

The footage isn't necessarily meant to be home video, just an older, worn memory, if that makes sense.

#4 Andrew Means

Andrew Means
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:32 PM

[newbie] what's this 'pillarboxing'?[/newbie]

#5 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:11 PM

I saw some pictures of a Super8 steadycam with a fingercamera on the viewfinder wired to a lcd-monitor. You could do the same thing and make 1.85-marks on your monitor.

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20068 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:47 PM

[newbie] what's this 'pillarboxing'?[/newbie]

Black borders on the left and right side of the video image to preserve a less-wide aspect ratio.

#7 Timothy David Orme

Timothy David Orme
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Director
  • Boise, ID

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:32 PM

The monitor idea would work if we were going to be shooting something we could easily shoot with a monitor, but unfortunately we're going to be shooting primarily on location, outside, with very small, quick setups.

Would using a director's viewfinder help out at all? How might we crop it via the viewfinder?

#8 Andrew Means

Andrew Means
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:44 AM

Black borders on the left and right side of the video image to preserve a less-wide aspect ratio.

Doh! Letterbox/pillarbox. I should have known.

#9 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Zürich, Switzerland

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:19 PM

The monitor idea would work if we were going to be shooting something we could easily shoot with a monitor, but unfortunately we're going to be shooting primarily on location, outside, with very small, quick setups.

:D :D :D
[attachment=1354:attachment]

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC