• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Denny

Steve Denny
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:00 PM

I need to replace some Anton Bauer Dionic batteries.

Does anyone have experience with the IDX Endura Battery System? I'm not sure if I want to simply replace the Dionics with Dionics or convert to a new system in the IDX Endura series.

I thought I would check here for any "hands-on" opinions of the Enduras.

Thoughts?

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:41 PM

I've used the IDX Lithium ion batts quite a bit. The great thing about them is they are lightweight, and you can stack up to two on the camera for slightly longer run time. Like all batteries there is a useful lifespan, and after a few years they start to fail quickly (true of any battery). The thing to remember when using them is that the voltage curve drops abruptly when it starts to die, so you don't get a long period of weak voltage like you do with NiCads.

You'll also have to get a new charger for the new style of batteries, if you're switching over.

The best thing for you to do is contact IDX directly; the folks there have always been really nice to me and will answer any questions or concerns you have.

#3 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:59 PM

I've used the IDX for awhile. Yes, they are lightweight, but that's the only plus I can think of. The downside is that when they have lived their life, you cannot get them recelled as you can an Anton Bauer. Plus you have to buy the new charger. The other thing to think about is that most cameramen and rental houses use Anton Bauer, so if you ever got into trouble and had to rent or buy, you're not likely to find an IDX floating around.

Brian
www.whatireallywanttodo.com

#4 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:49 AM

IDX is making a new battery specifically for steadicam, but I'm sure it can be used for other applications. Check it out here.
It's not quite the answer to your question, but you may be interested.

#5 Jeff Regan

Jeff Regan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:48 AM

I have used Anton/Bauer Pro-Pacs for 25 years, although not Dionics, for my rental inventory. I now use
Empire Scientific LiOn V-Mount batts. with Pro-Pacs available by request. The LiOn's last twice as long or more,
weigh a fraction of a "brick" and compared to Anton/Bauer or IDX, cost a whole lot less, including the chargers.

The only downside is that the 95ah smaller version is so lightweight that the cameras are front heavy, but
the larger 130ah version, with moving the shoulder mount forward, has better balance. The V-mount
system is pretty popular and the price points of the Empire Scientific batts. and chargers is great, a
95ah batt. is $149, 130ah is $229 and 2-position charger with large LCD display is $300. Anton/Bauer
and IDX are much more expensive for batts. and chargers.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
www.ssv.com

#6 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:31 AM

IDX batteries can "stack" onto each other for longer runtimes. In fact, Barry Rubin of IDX created an adapter to load 4 IDX Endura's on a VariCam at one time. It works great. The support team at IDX is superb, and their product design is second to none. My only hesitation in recommending them is that I've seen more than one Endura stop "locking in" after being abused by freelancers. The plastic casing on the front of the batteries (where additional batteries snap on) has a way of "chipping off" in a way I haven't seen before. My conclusion is that it's abuse. My feeling is that if you take good care of them, they'll work great for a long time. And, they'll be significantly more useful than a battery system that limits you to one battery at a time -- a real limitation on HD cameras that (obviously) need a lot of juice.

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Visual Products