10 replies to this topic

#1 roy farag

roy farag
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:30 AM

hi' im about to film a short movie next week which basicaly takes place in one aprtmant. the most dramtic scene is a guy standing in front of a canvas painting' behind him is a big window the camra is in motion rowards him from his back in slow dolly movment until it discovers whats on the canas. my q is' i would like to light up the room using the background window which will poor the light in on the guy', i have some quats 800 and one 2000 which i can wrap with blue gel, the thing is that i want to achive some kind of a blue fill or beem that will fall on the person' any sugastions?

thanx
roy

#2 Ofer Dori

Ofer Dori

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:27 AM

hi' im about to film a short movie next week which basicaly takes place in one aprtmant. the most dramtic scene is a guy standing in front of a canvas painting' behind him is a big window the camra is in motion rowards him from his back in slow dolly movment until it discovers whats on the canas. my q is' i would like to light up the room using the background window which will poor the light in on the guy', i have some quats 800 and one 2000 which i can wrap with blue gel, the thing is that i want to achive some kind of a blue fill or beem that will fall on the person' any sugastions?

thanx
roy

hi roy . first you didnt wrote about the format you going to work with . the direction of the window (n,e,s,w)
is very important too, is your camera is much sensitiv to hald with strong outdoor bounce light and a small hase machine ? could work nice , the price is over exp in the window when you soot it directly..
good luck.

#3 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:26 AM

Come on guys! Use a spelling and grammar checker! You are making it harder for the people on this forum to help you if we have difficulty understanding what you are talking about. IMHO, clear, concise verbal communication is as important as knowing what gel is what. Precisely being on the same page as the rest of the production is the key no matter if it is an indy short or the next "James Bond"
Good habits start early.

#4 roy farag

roy farag
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:23 AM

Come on guys! Use a spelling and grammar checker! You are making it harder for the people on this forum to help you if we have difficulty understanding what you are talking about. IMHO, clear, concise verbal communication is as important as knowing what gel is what. Precisely being on the same page as the rest of the production is the key no matter if it is an indy short or the next "James Bond"
Good habits start early.

well i hope you will accept my poor english now- im realy doing my best here!

as foryour rply i would like to know what u didnt understand there

roy

p.s i wll use a dv camera probably the sony dsr 450 hoping to "catch" pooring light from a window

roy

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 July 2006 - 11:14 AM

i have some quats 800 and one 2000 which i can wrap with blue gel, the thing is that i want to achive some kind of a blue fill or beem that will fall on the person' any sugastions?

What's a "quats"?

You want a light that is bluer than even 5500K so that it reads as a blue beam against a daylight background? Or were you going to first gel the window to 3200K?

#6 roy farag

roy farag
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:30 PM

What's a "quats"?

You want a light that is bluer than even 5500K so that it reads as a blue beam against a daylight background? Or were you going to first gel the window to 3200K?

hello david
thank you for your remark. yes i would love to catch a blue beem against a day light. altough the thought of geling the window is a nice thought' can u tell me more about it? what do i achive in each one of the cases?

thanx
roy

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:38 PM

hello david
thank you for your remark. yes i would love to catch a blue beem against a day light. altough the thought of geling the window is a nice thought' can u tell me more about it? what do i achive in each one of the cases?

thanx
roy

First off tell me what a "quats" is.

#8 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:45 PM

Quartz? (i.e., tungsten-halogen lamps)

#9 roy farag

roy farag
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:46 PM

well i dont know whats a quats is -- im so sorry for missspelling i ment quartz ( have a 2*800 and 1* 2000)

thanx ans sorry

#10 Matt Workman

Matt Workman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:48 PM

I remember reading this in the beginning and feeling ignorant for not knowing what a quats was. :P

(2) 800w and (1) 2kw are pretty small lights to work with for the effect you are going for. I remember a thread about using a 2.5k HMI being barely able to do this effect.

Also are you ground floor? I did this sort of effect for on a second floor house and it took a lot of rigging.

#11 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

Wanting to create a blue beam of light with small tungsten lights in a daylight room is the worst combination of elements, because you have to already do something just to get the lights as blue as the daylight or the daylight as orange as the lights, just to balance them -- to go even bluer than that is even harder, you'll lose too much light out of the tungsten.

You really need to start out with an HMI. Then you can either gel it blue, or gel the windows with Full CTO / Sun85. Either way, then the HMI would be bluer than the daylight.

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies