• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:10 AM

I have long been aware of the "Star Pattern" lens flare exhibited by the DVX100A... What I wasn't aware of before now was the beautiful "Blue Streak" flare possible only on a wide open aperture with this camera. Wow, what a terrific find! Here's what I discovered tonight:

Equipment + Settings
Camera: Panasonic DVX100A, 24PA, f/1.6 (wide open), 1/1000th Shutter Speed, Century Optics 0.7X wide lens, Focus was on "84" which is Pana-Jargon for 20-30 feet away. No filtration.
Light: Dedolight DLHM4-300 (150W/24V, full spotted in the general direction of camera)
Posted Image

Next, I racked the focus to "1" which is macro focus on this camera.
Posted Image

I wanted to see if the flare was any different without the wide angle lens attachment. Turns out the flare is even more pronounced using only the built-in lens, without any add on's. I actually liked it better without the wide angle lens.
Posted Image

As I "stopped down" the pretty blue flare started to give way to the "star effect" I'm accustomed to seeing from this camera. This still was taken at f/2.8, I think.
Posted Image

By the time I reached f/5.6 the blue flare was completely gone.
Posted Image

Just for fun, I popped in a Schneider Digicon 1 filter in the matte box and also aligned the Dedolight (still on full spot) directly into the lens of the camera and discovered this interesting effect.
Posted Image

For the last shot, I flooded the Dedolight to see what would happen. Here's what I found.
Posted Image

So, as you can see, it's possible to get some pretty neat flares with this camera and a point source!

Attached Files

#2 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:13 PM

The XL1 that I just used to shoot a summer camp had some crazy lens issues - I don't think this effect is standard with this lens (the 16x 5.5-88) and if it is, I apologize, but these flares from camera flashes struck me as really odd:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:38 PM

Posted Image

Now just turn your camera sideways and you're on to something! ;)

Both the blue and green streaks are artifacts of the chips being overloaded, not optical flares. And the star-pattern is a direct result of the number of blades in the iris. Lenses with more iris blades have less of a distinct star pattern.

You might enjoy these:
http://www.claudiomi...com/Alpine.html
http://www.claudiomi...Alpine75mm.html
http://www.claudiomi...alpinemute.html

#4 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:22 AM

The blue streak is vertical smear... fairly predictable when you point a ccd camera at a strong light source.

The horzontal green streak is odd, I've never seen anything like that. It almost looks like there is a defect on the green ccd.
Kinda reminds me of extremely dirty video heads. :huh:

#5 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:25 AM

Yeah come to think of it, it makes sense that it's a CCD issue and not a lens issue, because these would show up a few frames after the actual camera flash. Kinda makes me want to experiment with rigging up a bunch of flash bulbs to fire in sequence...could be a cool effect in a music video or something

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Opal

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

CineTape

CineLab