#1 coco

coco

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:49 AM

Hi, my name is carlos, and i am from spain. i already had work once in the usa, but was no paid movie. some one once told me that to be able to work in the states you need to roll in the union... can anyone explain me how it works?? what do i ned to be able to work there??? its anything that you havbe t fill up like a rollment form... or you have to go to school there.

Please i need to know how it works, because i wana go there to work again.

thanks.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:58 AM

Hi, my name is carlos, and i am from spain. i already had work once in the usa, but was no paid movie. some one once told me that to be able to work in the states you need to roll in the union... can anyone explain me how it works?? what do i ned to be able to work there??? its anything that you havbe t fill up like a rollment form... or you have to go to school there.

thanks.

There are union and non-union productions in the USA.

The work permit issues are a different matter.

#3 coco

coco

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:07 PM

thanks for you help, but still dont get what do you have to get into an union

#4 Wilkin Chau

Wilkin Chau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Grip

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:02 PM

thanks for you help, but still dont get what do you have to get into an union

Where exactly in the states do you want to work? IATSE is the big union in the states and they have many locals. I think it's either iatse.com or iatse.org. Or just google it.

They only really accept permits when it's busy. getting your resume (or CV) in order is a good idea. Do you have any experience in the USA on non-union shows? I'm not sure if they recognize work in Spain or not. Try calling the local you are interested in.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:53 PM

I'm not sure how foreign DP's get immediately into the union unless it is some sort of waiver of the requirements at the request of the production company.

The requirement is proving that you've worked 100 days within a 3-year period backdated from the time of application, PAID work only, and only work in the category in which you are applying (only DP work is counted for joining under the DP classification.) And that 100 days has to have done in the U.S. or its territories.

Obviously there must be some loopholes when some famous foreign DP comes to work in the U.S.

Normally you would apply to Contract Services, not the union (IATSE Local 600.)

Hence why the more likely scenario is that you work non-union here until you get the qualifying 100 days. Also you should know that it will cost you $10,000 to join as a DP, and over $1000 a year in dues.

#6 Wilkin Chau

Wilkin Chau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Grip

Posted 29 July 2006 - 02:12 AM

I'm not sure how foreign DP's get immediately into the union unless it is some sort of waiver of the requirements at the request of the production company.

The requirement is proving that you've worked 100 days within a 3-year period backdated from the time of application, PAID work only, and only work in the category in which you are applying (only DP work is counted for joining under the DP classification.) And that 100 days has to have done in the U.S. or its territories.

Obviously there must be some loopholes when some famous foreign DP comes to work in the U.S.

Normally you would apply to Contract Services, not the union (IATSE Local 600.)

Hence why the more likely scenario is that you work non-union here until you get the qualifying 100 days. Also you should know that it will cost you $10,000 to join as a DP, and over $1000 a year in dues.

Wow, that's a lot in dues especially the initiation fee. More than Technicians. Course, you do get paid way more than us. :)

Coco also posted in the grip forum too so for IA873 (toronto) they require you to have worked 200 days. Could be commericals, TV, Film etc. Can be non-paying as well but they would have to recognize it. Meaning I think some things don't count. But the main obstacle would be supply and demand. Last year was so busy they grabbed warm bodies off the street to help. Not kidding. But this year is SOOO dead they aren't accepting permits.

Not sure how the different IA technician locals operate in terms of requirements but that's a general idea. I would suggest Coco to contact the local. Plus you would need to find out more since you're not a US citizen?

#7 coco

coco

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:28 PM

thank you very much, i will carefully read everything again to see how can i get to work there

#8 Tony Brown

Tony Brown
  • Sustaining Members
  • 689 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:25 AM

There are always loopholes. You can hire a local DP to ghost for example. Normally they dont even bother to come to the shoot, though I believe they are supposed to be present for the duration in case of anything that leads to litigation. Somebody will correct me I'm sure...... I'd be interested to know as I've only ever seen one show up, in LA, he said hello, drank a coffee and vanished.

#9 Stephen Whitehead

Stephen Whitehead
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:43 AM

Is IATSE willing to waive standard entrance requirments at the request of a production company? If they did that, would that only be for one picture, or would the DP in question have full membership in the union? I am just wondering because I was recently working on "Talk to Me", Don Cheadle's up coming picture which was shooting here in Toronto. The camera department was IATSE, but the DP was St├ęphane Fontaine, who is from France and I'm pretty sure not a member of IATSE 667. I was just wondering how legally that all works with the Unions.

Cheers,

Steve

#10 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:25 AM

thanks.

You may have more trouble getting a visa to work in the US than actually getting film work.

Once you get a visa try and come to the US and start networking. New York city is very busy right now and LA always has more work than anywhere else here in the US.

Try to call friends where perhaps you can stay for free on someone's couch or spare bedroom.

You don't need to be in a union to start working. You can do non union stuff for awhile, and when the time is right you can worry about getting in.

Contract Services, which David mentioned is a west coast thing. In NYC you can apply directly to the respective union you want to join. In some ways unions in NY are easier to join and in some ways going through contract services in California may be easier.

Primarily, focus on just get here and start working and networking.

Best

Tim

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

CineTape

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider