3 replies to this topic

#1 srsaat

srsaat
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:44 PM

hello everybody,,

Tommorow i have a samal shoot, in there i have a night effect in which artist going to be work on computer monitors and xerox machine..

Here i feel to lit face light as coming from computer monitor source and xerox machinetravelling source ..

Any different kind of style can i able to maintain?

How come i achive this by using my small lighting package??

i m using 5218 filmstock..

Thx in advance,

srsaat

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:32 PM

A real Xerox machine while it scans a page is usually bright enough by itself -- so you don't need to fake the effect, unless you don't have a Xerox machine and you're faking an off-camera one.

It's a very bright travelling light bar, brighter than a Kino tube, so you'd have to use a strip of wood probably with a row of little PAR bulbs, on a dimmer, and on a rig to move it a foot or so. So you'd probably start the bar under a flag, dimmed out, dim it up and slide it out from the flag and under another flag, then dim it out again, then reset. But if it doesn't have to be too bright, you probably could get away with moving a bare Kino tube.

Of course, in real life you usually Xerox with the lid down, plus the document blocks part of the light.

It probably would be easier to just use a real Xerox machine for the effect.

If the computer monitor's back is to camera, you can tape some Kino MiniFlo tubes to the surface of the monitor (off-camera).

#3 John Hall

John Hall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Best Boy
  • Toronto, Canada

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:24 PM

Find an old CRT monitor (a 30 minute drive on garbage day should net you a couple), remove the 'innards' and take just the plastic shell of the monitor.
Put a 300w fresnel inside the shell and tape some diffusion and CTB (can't remember if I used 1/4 or 1/2) to the screen. You'll want to put some blackwrap behind the light so the light doesn't spill out the holes in the side of the monitor.
If you want it to look a bit more realistic, tape a couple different densities of CTB to different areas of the 'screen' to simulate different coloured 'windows'.

As with David's sugggestion, this really works only when filming the back of the monitor, but it may be passable for a brief, out-of-focus glance.

#4 David Avila

David Avila
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Leeds

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:15 AM

Thank you very much Mr. Mullen, the next week I´ll have a xerox machine (photocopier) shoot... you always gives good advice ;)

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Visual Products

Opal

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Technodolly