New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France - Czech Republic - South Africa

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:47 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm about to shoot a project (i'll be 2nd camera operator) and I'm gonna use a Arri 16 SR II, and it's gonna be handheld all the time.
I was wondering if you could advise me any particular accessories (handles mostly) that would make my like a little bit easier :)

Thanks in advance :)

(I hope the answer is not in a topic i didn't see ;) )

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:50 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm about to shoot a project (i'll be 2nd camera operator) and I'm gonna use a Arri 16 SR II, and it's gonna be handheld all the time.
I was wondering if you could advise me any particular accessories (handles mostly) that would make my like a little bit easier :)

Thanks in advance :)

(I hope the answer is not in a topic i didn't see ;) )

I would love to hear the same thing. I have tried to shoot hand held with my SR1 on numerous occasions and it has always been an uncomfortable, and not terribly successful thing. I have the ARRI shoulder pad, which appears to be hard as a rock, but actually works petty well. I then also got a set of handles from Cavision and the rosettes on them are pretty close to the rosettes on the SR body. I use the SR right hand grip with the on/off button, and the Cavision left hand grip. Problem for me is that it still puts the handles too close in and when using a heavy zoom and matte box, the camera is terribly front heavy. Would love to have a set up like I have seen for the SR3 with the handles further out in front, with still having an on/off switch on the right hand grip.

-Tim

#3 Joe Farris

Joe Farris
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:59 AM

These guys make a good modular system. I haven't used it myself. I had a look at it at birns and sawyer a few years back. I think you can even use a microforce as one of the handles. If I rememeber correctly It's fairly expensive.

http://www.tangohead.../prod_blue.html

Joseph Farris
Director of Photography
Visions of Light, Inc.
312-829-8244 Office
630-306-8244 Cell
630-653-1997 Fax
www.visionsoflightinc.com
joe@visionsoflightinc.com

#4 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:41 AM

I was running and gunning all weekend as 1st AC on some pickup shots/B roll for a feature...we had an SR3 package and I ended up getting us the S-4 shoulder set with the Arricam-style left and right grips, which are longer and allow you 3 different joints to position instead of just 2. First of all, it made it so much easier to carry, so that was nice! Then we used the lightweight follow focus (LFD or whatever it's called) on the lightweight 15mm rods (the ones that go right onto that front shoe) and an LMB-5. It worked out pretty well. The right-side pistol grip and standard shoulder pad are ok if you've got smaller lenses or if you have chances to park the camera somewhere but as far as being able to comfortably operate, it's harder to get your arms out at a wide enough angle...so things start to get shaky pretty fast. I would definitely recommend a grip for each hand, just for balance and stability.

Where are you renting the camera package?

#5 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:31 AM

That Blue Handle looks pretty good. I've used the stuff that Otto Nemenz sends out and it's OK. I have long arms, so it would be nice to be able to extend my arms a bit further when doing handheld. I've had many instances when my arms started to fall asleep while I was operating. It would be nice to remedy that.

Opal

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Visual Products

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies