Photo

BetacamSP Problem - Wavy Lines over Black areas?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 infoking

infoking

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Producer
  • Miami, FL

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:23 AM

Hi,

I have 2 SONY 537 cameas shooting BetacamSP that I just had checked out with a technician who said they are both adjusted correctly.

I have a set consisting of 2 director chairs with a black muslin back drop.

I am only using Flourescent lights at 5100 degress K to lite the set.

Both cameras are recording a set of wavy lines over the black areas of the backdrop.

On one camera records almost a perfect picture with only barely noticeable wavy lines over the black areas and the other camera with the exact same settings records an image where the wavy lines over the black areas are very noticeable.

I thought it might be the flourescent lights but I took both cameras outside and videotape an old sign that has white lettering on a black background, and I still am getting the wavy lines over the black but not as noticeable outdoors in sunlight.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem? Desperate!

#2 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:16 AM

Hi,

I know this camera quite well, and I'm afraid they're a bit old, by now...

Firts of all, were the 2 cams linked by any way ? Gen locked ? TC in/out ? and for what is about the outdoor test ?

Is there no possibility that you can attach a grab of the image in a post ?

I feel like a miscontact somewhere... Are the waves randomlike and very quick changing their aspect or always like in the same place, or like cycling ?

#3 infoking

infoking

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Producer
  • Miami, FL

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:28 AM

Hi,

I know this camera quite well, and I'm afraid they're a bit old, by now...

Firts of all, were the 2 cams linked by any way ? Gen locked ? TC in/out ? and for what is about the outdoor test ?

Is there no possibility that you can attach a grab of the image in a post ?

I feel like a miscontact somewhere... Are the waves randomlike and very quick changing their aspect or always like in the same place, or like cycling ?

No, the cameras were not linked in any way for either test. I tried to take a still picture of the video from my editing system (a media 100i) but you can hardly see it in a still picture.

It looks like they are cycling.. like white lines at 45 degree angles flowing over the screen giving a wave-like appearnce.

I did read on the iNternet that with SONY 537 cameras the capacitors go bad and don't filter properly and produce what is called a "moire effect" but i am not sure if this is such an effect. The cameras were bought from a company that I trust--they buy 537s from SONY that were never sold and both have about 100 hours on them each.

I want to say thank you very much for responding--I have everything invested in shooting a few infomercials for some products I invented and that's why I bought the cameras.

#4 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:41 AM

DXC537 - older generation but still provide fine pictures - wish I had one. Try genlocking the cameras to the switch or to each other, and verify the shutter timing is the same. Try shooting under incandescent lights. Does one of the cameras have "Zebra" turned on? Zebra stripes show up in 70% highlights in the on-camera video monitor.

Edited by Robert Hughes, 30 July 2006 - 11:45 AM.

#5 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:23 PM

Well, if the cameras were not linked, I don't see the origin of the problem, but something wrong in the cameras. Even though they were set up and looked fine, they may now have a problem that was not discovered at the maintenance. I'm afraid you have to send them again... because of this particular problem. Sorry I couldn't help much.

#6 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 30 July 2006 - 04:25 PM

How do you know for sure that the interference you are seeing is not being generated by the monitor you are using? Try powering your set up from one wall outlet source only and see if the problem goes away.

#7 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 30 July 2006 - 04:37 PM

Yes, it may actually be an interference with any possible magnetic device... Maybe the interference filters on the camera have a problem, they should be capacitors, basically, though it doens't sound like a "moire" effect

#8 Michael McIntyre

Michael McIntyre
  • Sustaining Members
  • 96 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:39 PM

I realize Tim has posted 'nothing about post' here before but I've seen similar wavy lines on video when the deck heads need some attention. This (obviously) would have nothing to do with the DXC's but your edit set-up.

There's a chance that your playback deck needs something more than just a good cleaning. You may have not noticed the 'wavy lines' before because you were cutting full-frame video that didn't feature your black backdrop which makes it very noticeable.

I apologize if I'm way off base with your problem but, without seeing a frame-grab, it's hard to say. It just sounds exactly what I've seen on a Sony DVW500 (DigiBeta but plays Beta SP too). It had a lot of hours on it and began not liking certain tape stocks and dubs. The waves kind of float downward around in a cycle. It s very annoying. Almost looks like some form of RF transmission interference or another TV channel bleeding in and adds a certain milkinees to the blacks.

We were in in no position to replace the heads and a Sony rep came over and worked some magic. I wish I had known exactly what he did but he fixed it. It wasn't cheap but the waves are gone. Try different tape stock and definitely try playing back your camera tapes on another Beta machine. Good luck.

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets