Bolex and PL mounts???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 darren299

darren299
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:09 AM

Hi Guys,
I'm well aware of all the Bolex prism mis/dis/information on this forum, but I still cannot figure out how a reflex Bolex camera can work with a PL front or a C to PL adaptor....

Is the PL front or the mount adaptor really designed to account for ALL of the affects of the prism?
Will PL lenses work at any focal length/f stop on this setup?

I like the idea of using modern lenses on my RX5, but is it really that simple?

Tks,
Darren.

#2 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:55 AM

I'm well aware of all the Bolex prism mis/dis/information on this forum

Well, why don't you enlighten us? Which is which? And why would someone knowingly provide disinformation about a camera?

Is the PL front or the mount adaptor really designed to account for ALL of the affects of the prism?

What affect would a mount adapter have on prism optics?

Will PL lenses work at any focal length/f stop on this setup?

Pull your weight. You tell us.

I like the idea of using modern lenses on my RX5, but is it really that simple?

No.

Edited by Robert Hughes, 30 July 2006 - 11:56 AM.

#3 darren299

darren299
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:04 PM

Well, why don't you enlighten us? Which is which? And why would someone knowingly provide disinformation about a camera?

What affect would a mount adapter have on prism optics?

Pull your weight. You tell us.

No.

Not looking for an argument - just some information...

Has anyone used this setup?
Does anyone know how or if it really works?

Grateful for any help.

#4 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:19 PM

OK, you say you know of mis/disinformation about Bolex lenses. Do you know what the "RX" issue is? Do you understand the spherical abberation problem encountered by the designers of the Bolex RX cameras when they placed a prism into the optical path, and what they did to work around the problem? Do you understand why no other camera manufacturer has to deal with this issue?

In short, if you use a longer lens (say, > 50mm), or stop down a shorter lens to f/5.6 or greater, you should be able to focus a non-RX lens on a Bolex Rex camera. That issue is not dependent upon what lens mount you use. But any PL mount lens is NOT an RX lens because Bolex never supported the PL mount for their RX cameras.

You could have found this out by reviewing the many threads already existing on the subject. DYODD.

Edited by Robert Hughes, 30 July 2006 - 01:20 PM.

#5 darren299

darren299
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:35 PM

OK, you say you know of mis/disinformation about Bolex lenses. Do you know what the "RX" issue is? Do you understand the spherical abberation problem encountered by the designers of the Bolex RX cameras when they placed a prism into the optical path, and what they did to work around the problem? Do you understand why no other camera manufacturer has to deal with this issue?

In short, if you use a longer lens (say, > 50mm), or stop down a shorter lens to f/5.6 or greater, you should be able to focus a non-RX lens on a Bolex Rex camera. That issue is not dependent upon what lens mount you use. But any PL mount lens is NOT an RX lens because Bolex never supported the PL mount for their RX cameras.

You could have found this out by reviewing the many threads already existing on the subject. DYODD.

Again - I'm just looking for answers.

I know the "RX" issue very well, and am well aware of the spherical abberation problem.
I'm also well aware of the many Bolex related posts on this forum, and the conflicting information relating to the "RX" topic. I would not have posted these questions if they had already been answered.

My questions still stand...
Why would anyone convert a Bolex to PL hardfront if there are apparently such restrictions on it's use?
Has anyone used a wide angle lens on a Bolex with a PL mount, wide open, with success?
Is it completely impossible that the PL conversion or C to PL adapter compensates for spherical abberation?

Grateful for constructive thoughts.

#6 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:50 PM

I suppose you could get a PL lens fitted with an adapter for RX compatibility, but then it would not be compatible with standard PL cameras. Perhaps somebody could make a PL adapter with an RX-compensation element built in, but the NRE and manufacturing costs would be prohibitive for a one-off project. You might be better off buying an Arri SR and converting that to PL mount.

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

The Slider