3 replies to this topic

#1 bragis chut

bragis chut
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:53 AM

The most reasonably priced rental houses I've been able to find seem to be Keslow and Alan Gordon. Has anyone used them? Do they have decent gear? Also, if anyone knows any smaller outfits that might have an Arri SR III or Aaton XPR for rent, please let me know.

Thanks.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:04 AM

The most reasonably priced rental houses I've been able to find seem to be Keslow and Alan Gordon. Has anyone used them? Do they have decent gear? Also, if anyone knows any smaller outfits that might have an Arri SR III or Aaton XPR for rent, please let me know.

Thanks.

Keslow is more commonly used than Alan Gordon -- "Dukes Of Hazzard 2" was shot in Super-16 using Keslow's gear I think.

Alan Gordon is an odd place, originally supported by military contracts, supplying cameras for missile tests and whatnot I guess. That have a lot of old, oddball gear. I've used them for really small stuff because they are kinda low-stress, used to dealing with people without much money, but you might find them lacking in some of the accessories.

Another place to check out is Birns and Sawyer.

#3 bragis chut

bragis chut
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Director

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:59 AM

Keslow is more commonly used than Alan Gordon -- "Dukes Of Hazzard 2" was shot in Super-16 using Keslow's gear I think.

Alan Gordon is an odd place, originally supported by military contracts, supplying cameras for missile tests and whatnot I guess. That have a lot of old, oddball gear. I've used them for really small stuff because they are kinda low-stress, used to dealing with people without much money, but you might find them lacking in some of the accessories.

Another place to check out is Birns and Sawyer.

Hm... Interesting to know. They have a huge catalog so I figured they were a much bigger outfit. The other two reasonably priced palces I've come across were Hollywood Camera (whose gear I just used on something else, and it was really old stuff and rather beaten up) and Ultravision. I'll check out Birns as well, thanks for the tip.

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:04 PM

I'll of course put in the plug for Abel Cine Tech. You didn't mention where you are but since you refer to a number of LA houses, I'll note that we have an LA office.

Glidecam

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport