Chris Pritzlaff
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:18 AM

Hey all,
I am preping for a shoot which takes place almost entirely inside a confessional booth as a conversation between a priest and a young boy that has committed murder. I was wondering if any of you have shot in a confessional before and have any thoughts or ideas. I would like to try to keep the booth very dark and allow the actors to fall into the light only when they lean in certain directions, but I am still trying different approaches. I am also concerned with the very limited amount of space inside so I am figuring that it will have to be built as a set inside a studio so that we can move walls as needed. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Michael McIntyre

Michael McIntyre
  • Sustaining Members
  • 96 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:41 AM

It's one of the easiest set pieces you'll ever build. One fake insert wall (screened confessional divider) and the opposing back wall which can be flipped respectively if you're doing it all one-camera for the angles.

The trick is agreeing on the material for the 'scrim' divider. I've even seen pressed tin with designs punched with par's and some smoke.

#3 Chris Pritzlaff

Chris Pritzlaff
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:24 PM

Im gonna bump this up again because we are now 1 month away from shooting and want to see if anyone out there has any suggestions or tips. Im also trying to put together a list of films that have scenes in confession booths to show the director for some visual concepts but can't come up with many. Any help would be much appreciated.

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:15 PM

Im gonna bump this up again because we are now 1 month away from shooting and

My old school Hungarian Catholic wife says that to her memory in the old days the only light was on the Priest's side of the confessional. That might help you think about "liturgically" correct lighting.

Something like a downlight on the Priest? And then on the Penitant's side use some little Flo's like they're used for diffuse face light on the driver and front seat passengers in a car at night?

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Glidecam

CineLab

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC