2 replies to this topic

#1 G McMahon

G McMahon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:26 PM

I would like to hear some feed back from cameramen who have shot some high speed with this camera. Did shooting interlaced at your selected shutter speed yield satisfactory results?
Did you use any other settings to enable the progressive and interlaced (high speed) images to mesh seamlessly?

Thanks all,

Graeme

#2 Hans Kellner

Hans Kellner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other
  • Northern California

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:54 AM

Did shooting interlaced at your selected shutter speed yield satisfactory results?
Did you use any other settings to enable the progressive and interlaced (high speed) images to mesh seamlessly?

I have shot cycling events with a DVX100a. Shooting interlaced allowed for better capture of objects in motion. It also provided me with the option to produce cleaner slo-motion shots.

To mesh the interlaced footage with progressive, I setup the scene file so that many of the settings are the same or similar. It takes some experimenting but you can get to a point where the two types flow together well without obvious changes.

#3 Thomas Worth

Thomas Worth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:43 AM

I've shot a few shows that had a mix of progressive and interlaced footage. I didn't change any of the picture settings between the two, only the frame rate (24pA / 60i) and the shutter speed. Once you have all the footage in the computer, you can do whatever you want with it. Converting 24pA to 24p / 25p and slowing 60i to 25p / 24p / 30p is no problem. Or, if you want only a slight slo-mo effect, you can shoot 30p and slow it down to either 24p or 25p. Piece o' cake.

If you know you need slow-mo for certain shots, I highly recommend shooting them 60i, unless you are content with the 30p --> 24p slowdown. The effect is not as slow as 60i deinterlaced to 60fps, but it is a true progressive image.

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

The Slider