#1 Sebastian Andexer

Sebastian Andexer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Other
  • San Antonio, Texas

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

We might be shooting with a camflex in the next few weeks and I would like to shoot 3 perf to save money. Since ive never shot film before what are the steps that I have to take to shoot 3 perf with the camflex??

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:48 PM

We might be shooting with a camflex in the next few weeks and I would like to shoot 3 perf to save money. Since ive never shot film before what are the steps that I have to take to shoot 3 perf with the camflex??

Hi,

Get it rebuilt in 3 perf.

Stephen

#3 Sasuke

Sasuke
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:59 PM

You can have it converted to 3perf. It will probably take about 4 weeks to ship off the
camera, have it converted abd shipped back. The one place that does these conversions on a
regular basis is in Austrailia. The Aranda Group. The guy you want to talk to is Bruce McNaughton
send him an email bruce@arandafilm.com.au .

#4 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:32 PM

If you've never shot film before, you should first find out every aspect and expense of the format you're considering before you go investing thousands of dollars into a camera modification, in addition to committing yourself to thousands more in post production involving an intermediate process that you may or may not need, depending on the project. Also, if you're planning on sync sound, it may be next to impossible to find a usable Cameflex blimp, as they are extremely rare.

#5 Sasuke

Sasuke
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:56 PM

If this will be your fisrt time shooting film, try this:
Buy a cheap Super 8mm camer aoff of EBAY. Shoot negative and reversal Super 8mm.
To see what different looks the negative and reversal film will give you.
I suggest Super 8mm first because it's easy to use and the cameras are dirt cheap.
Next, if you are going to try super 8, go to the Super 8mmm section of the forum and read through
the archives. You can also check out www.filmshooting.com.
Save yourself some MAJOR headaches and go shoot some tests, PLENY of tests BEFORE you
commit to a solid shooting schedule.

#6 Thibaut de Chemellier

Thibaut de Chemellier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:07 AM

I own a 3-perf Cameflex, it's probably one of the cheapest 3-perf modification available but it's not easy to find someone to do it. Maybe Aranda, that's right.
I've bought mine in parts 2 years ago, the 3-perf cameflex had been entirely disassembled to build a copy that never been done, it was maybe 10 years ago...
It was pretty tricky but at the end it works fine.
Don't forget that you'll need a Cameflex who can accept a S-35 ground glass (24.9mm wide) then you have to built a 24.9mm x 13.87mm camera gate and ground glass masks.
The lens mount have to be centered on S-35mm.
Of course, the magazines and the driving mechanism should be modify too and then you must do some test...
I'm afraid that you will need more than two weeks...
And, Don't expect a significant camera noise reduction...;)

Anyway, good luck.

PS maybe my Camera tech in Paris could modify some magazines but I'm afraid that he won't accept to modify a camera...the price is around 400 Euros/mag I think.

Edited by TiboP', 01 August 2006 - 06:09 AM.

#7 Tony Rudd

Tony Rudd
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:30 AM

ever thought about shooting 2 perf?

#8 Thibaut de Chemellier

Thibaut de Chemellier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:30 AM

Techniscope is fine but only for 2.35 ratio.
3-perf can be 1.78 when used in its "full" format (perfect for HDTV transfer) or can be 1.85 and 2.35 for feature film, using the all width of 35mm film.
In 2.35 ratio 2-perf space is 205.92 mm2 and 3-perf is 263.58 mm2, 22% increase.

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

CineTape

Opal

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC