Aaron_Farrugia
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:32 PM

hello im shooting a film on 16mm in 2 months time
the setting is a theatre
backstage and
in the dressing room

i was just looking for suggestions for lights

in the dressing room, it was going to have one of those mirrors witht he lights all around the edge of the mirror,
in this scene a child about 7 years of age is with a magician and the magician performs a small trick to him just before the magician is called onto stage

for this scene i was after very soft lighting, and i wanted it to have a soft golden, warm, and homely feel to it, any suggesstions for gels? and lights? i was thinkin soft boxes or kinos with gels maybe straw or something...

the magician is then called onto stage and i was going to shine a light through the door where the assistant comes to call him so we just see a slash of light in the background

for the next scene it is back stage, very dark they are preparing all the equipment for the show
im still unsure how i was going to light this scene, i guess it depends on the location

but for the stage there are shots of the magician performing, and also shots from behind the magician to see his shilouette , also some shots of the audience from behind them looking to the stage,
for this light i needed just a single spotlight effect, where the light is this cold bright white light that is blinding, so i needed some suggestions on some lights that have a decent throw and power also the possiblitly of not being able to use 3 phase power could be there but unsure as of yet

any helpful comments
will be greatly appreciated

thankyou

#2 Aaron_Farrugia

Aaron_Farrugia
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:06 PM

no suggestionss?
:ph34r:

#3 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:59 PM

I'd suggest you put the subject of the topic in the subject line.

Are you shooting in a theatre? If so, you may not need to bring in any lighting.

#4 Aaron_Farrugia

Aaron_Farrugia
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:01 AM

yes in her majestys theatre
in the melbourne cdb
but they dont have all the lighting there
i would need to bring my own spot
and lighting for backstage and the dressing room

#5 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:16 AM

They don't have lights? That part of the tech spec reads:

Power Distribution

Ten 50A three-phase outlets, star-earthed, for audio, in addition to a 200A tap-in supply onstage PS and two more 200A OB van supplies (with Powerlock connectors) in the stage basement.

Sixty-eight 50A three-phase outlets distributed around the stage, fly-galleries and grid for lighting and automation, as well as two 400A, two 250A and two 60A tap-in supplies.

The totally flexible lighting patch system can be readily adapted either to centralised or distributed dimmers, or a combination of the two.

Lighting

25 x 3000 long battens wired for 6 ways each, can be hung on any lineset.

25 x 6-way multicores, patch to dimmer room via Gallery 2, OP side.

Box booms PS & OP wired with 24 outlets each. All patch outlets and cabling are 10A.

Prosc. booms PS & OP: no outlets installed.

FoH bridge (fixed bar) above Grand Circle , 32 outlets. Throw to setting line: 21.500m, access by ladder from Grand Circle.

Ethernet and LSC Isoport DMX system star-wired from dimmer room to all areas.

The following lighting equipment is available by arrangement with the Technical Manager.

12 x Strand Harmony 16/28º profile spots

6 x CCT Silhouette 30º profile spots

18 x CCT Silhouette 10º profile spots

18 x CCT Silhouette 15º profile spots

12 x Strand Patt 263 22º profile spots

52 x PAR 64 MFL

NB. Her Majesty's Theatre is currently not equipped with either dimmers or a lighting control desk.

I expect they'd have at least 4 followspots, but a 10 degree Sil would do in a pinch. 1/2 blue eg. Lee 202 will give a coldness to the light without making it blue.
Plenty of power.
The dressing rooms should have batten lights around the mirrors, which are probably pretty low color temp (warm), and cream or white walls you could use for bounced soft light
Backstage lighting in theatre is usually dim blue to minimise leaks to the stage.
A location scout is in order I think.

#6 Aaron_Farrugia

Aaron_Farrugia
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

cool
thanks heaps
well i have done 1 initial scout to check out the location
i have yet to go back there

but
they dont have any follow spots
they hire them when they need them so im going to have to hire a light for it
plus all the other lighting i dont need
as i only need this 1 blinding spot

also i was going to augment the warm batten lights with some more film lights, still unsure of which ones to use, a gelled dedo with soft box? or maybe a gelled kino, i dunno ive also been reading about these light panels, because we dont have alot of space in the dressing room, so ill need a light that dosnt take up much

Edited by Aaron_Farrugia, 07 August 2006 - 08:15 PM.

#7 Chris Pritzlaff

Chris Pritzlaff
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:16 AM

i dunno ive also been reading about these light panels, because we dont have alot of space in the dressing room, so ill need a light that dosnt take up much

My approach (and this in no way has to be yours - I'm mearly offering a suggestion) is to look at the natural lighting of the room and find ways to augment it if necessary. Look at the lighting in the room. I am guessing that there are some sort of lights around the mirror for the actors to use? See if those work for you as practicals and perhaps even key off of them if it gives you the look you are going for. You may not even need something else if you are going for a natural look. Then look to see if any other areas need additional light, or perhaps some sort of backlight coming in from another room?

I don't really see how lite panels would help you in this type of area, but then again, I'm not sure what style you are going for. Its really all about what feels right to you. Good luck.

#8 Aaron_Farrugia

Aaron_Farrugia
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:56 AM

ill guess il have to go back and take some readings

ill be using a zoom not sure how fast they are but
im not sure if ill get a good exposure out of those lights alone

#9 Dan Horstman

Dan Horstman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Washington, DC

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:58 PM

For the dressing room with the mirror. If it has a bunch of regular lights around it you might want to replace the bulbs with reveal or photoflood bulbs to get closer to 3200K color temp.

#10 Aaron_Farrugia

Aaron_Farrugia
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

For the dressing room with the mirror. If it has a bunch of regular lights around it you might want to replace the bulbs with reveal or photoflood bulbs to get closer to 3200K color temp.

ohh cool
ill definatly check it out

what kind of wattages do they come in?
how can i figure out whats safe to replace the bulbs

#11 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

Dressing room mirror lights are usually 30v so as not to present an electrocution danger if broken. It's unlikely you'll be able to swap them with an off-the-shelf bulb.

Abel Cine

CineLab

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam