danecook

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:45 AM

Hi.

I'm looking for a diagram for a camera. I assume there are many types of cameras used to make a motion picture like "Lady in the Water" etc., so I guess I'd like to see a diagram for the "standard" or typical type.

I want the diagram because I am curious about where the "start" button is for the camera. Is it like a home movie camera and located near the right hand thumb? Is it engaged using a cable of some sort? I'd like to know where the power button is too. I've looked on different sites and haven't found an answer to this. I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:12 AM

Hi.

I'm looking for a diagram for a camera. I assume there are many types of cameras used to make a motion picture like "Lady in the Water" etc., so I guess I'd like to see a diagram for the "standard" or typical type.

I want the diagram because I am curious about where the "start" button is for the camera. Is it like a home movie camera and located near the right hand thumb? Is it engaged using a cable of some sort? I'd like to know where the power button is too. I've looked on different sites and haven't found an answer to this. I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

You need to be specific about the model of camera you are interested in.

Professional 16mm, 35mm, and 65mm cameras are outlined in the American Cinematographer Manual.

Each camera manufacturer has technical information on their website. For example, here is Aaton:

http://www.aaton.com

Kodak has some 16mm camera information on its website:

http://www.kodak.com...m...1.4.9&lc=en

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:02 AM

On professional cameras, nearly everything important control-wise is on the left side of the camera body. If you find a photo of an arri camera, the green button on the left side is the start-stop. If you find a photo of a panavision camera, the start-stop is a little chromed switch right in front of the camera body door on the left side. If I have time in the next little bit, I'll find photos and circle the buttons for you.

#4 Hans Engstrom

Hans Engstrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Sweden

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:11 PM

Now you got me really interested in what you are up to :) Anyway visit the Manuals and DOC's and download a Aaton, Arri or Panaflex manual.

#5 danecook

danecook

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:00 AM

You need to be specific about the model of camera you are interested in.

Professional 16mm, 35mm, and 65mm cameras are outlined in the American Cinematographer Manual.

Each camera manufacturer has technical information on their website. For example, here is Aaton:

http://www.aaton.com

Kodak has some 16mm camera information on its website:

http://www.kodak.com...m...1.4.9&lc=en

Hi John,

Thanks for the info. I don't know enough to be more specific!! I'm going to check out the links you gave me and see if I can't educate myself a bit. Thanks again.

On professional cameras, nearly everything important control-wise is on the left side of the camera body. If you find a photo of an arri camera, the green button on the left side is the start-stop. If you find a photo of a panavision camera, the start-stop is a little chromed switch right in front of the camera body door on the left side. If I have time in the next little bit, I'll find photos and circle the buttons for you.

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the information. A photo with the buttons circled would be GREAT (if you get time!)

Now you got me really interested in what you are up to :) Anyway visit the Manuals and DOC's and download a Aaton, Arri or Panaflex manual.

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the manuals.

Regarding what I'm up to...."give a man a film, he's entertained for a day....teach a man where the start/stop button is on a Panaflex he can rule the world!!"

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

You can figure out where the start button is on any camera within a minute of staring at one...

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc